Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

choosing bad ass axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5blaze7, May 5, 2003.

1. k5blaze7

k5blaze7 Registered Member

i have a 78 blazer right now it has stock axles in it with 4.10 gears all around and a tci 350 turbo trans with a shift kit and gear-gear transfer case and 427 coming soon and want some axles that can with stand anything i can seem to put it threw put it threw what would be the best choice for axles

2. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

This one's pretty easy. 14 bolt full-floater for the rear, the 8 lug one with the 10.5" ring gear. For the front, it's debatable, depend's on how much offroading you do. If you do a little bit, then the front 10 bolt or 44 should hold up okay, you will probably have to upgrade the front to 8 lugs to match the rear though. If you want a 1 ton front, dana 60, but they aren't cheap.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    want some axles that can with stand anything i can seem to put it threw put it threw

[/ QUOTE ]

2-1/2 ton rock wells, Youll need to jack your truck up pretty good to clear the Toploading pinion.

4. k5blaze7

im lifting it 6 inch supension and 3 inch body so that should be enough how much do they run

5. k5blaze7

another ? i have is what gear ratio should i go with i have 4.10s in the stock 1/2 ton axles should i stay the same

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A 6 inch suspension lift is not really enough to clear the drop ins on Rockwells. A few years ago I was looking into putting a set under my truck and came to the conclusion that I would need at least 10" of suspension lift to have any kind of clearance for the axle. I'd recommend going for the tried and true D60/14 bolt combo, or if you want to get real fancy then go for some Unimog portal axles.

As for the gear ratio, that has alot to do with the size tires that you want to run.</font>

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

REASEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH

If you're good at fabbing stuff up and have a lot of cash to spend, then rockwells might be the ticket for you. It's gonna cost a lot, take a lot of research, ect.

If not, then just run 1 tons. a D60 with 35 spline axles and 14 Bolt will take you pretty much wherever you want to go within reason. I can't imagine you breaking either one very easily. 1 ton truck donors abound in the midwest, gear ratios don't have to suck for highway...Why dont you do a search on this popular topic, and include more info.

8. k5blaze7

ok thanx

im wanting to run 35 15.50's on street and 38's for pleasure

and 6 inch clear for those axles
    ya i dont see me gettin that crazy to snap a dana 60 but if i do i guess ill figure out what to go with if that happens

cuz i snapped a set of half ton axles from everyday street driving an some small offroading but of course the wicked 2nd gear scratch from the automatic tci350 turbo trans doesnt help much which likes to shatter the top of the pinon gear but was lucky to still be able to pull it up and off the trailer and up the drive way in 2 wheel drive how is a good ? cuz i dont know im still thinkin how i pulled it off but thats CHEVY FOR u nuttin can hold them down
    i recomend a tci trans if u wanna get a good strong trans but there is a down side to it the hard shifts eat u joints bad but will tow anything that u put it up to

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

With that said, go with the 1 tonners. Look around, they can be found at a good price. You DO NOT want rockwells and tires under a 44" for the street. They only come with a 6.17 gear, you'd be wrapped up around 4K rpms at 45 mph....THAT WOULD SUCK.

10. k5blaze7

ya that wouldnt be good im at 4 grand about 70 and thats all she will do with 4.10s and 31's

11. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

sorry all i can say is what they are, d60 and 14 bolt is what i hear, but when are you plannin on doin this, and are u gonna sell your 1/2 tons with the 410's? if so, pm me or something and let me know how much /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif are they the 10 bolts or dana 44's???? thanks...

12. k5blaze7

there 10 bolts and it will be a while um it all depends if i have another play toy by the time im ready to swap axles i still have other things to worry bout but the 4.10s are BRAND new richmond 4.10s cuz i shaddered the top of my pinon gear on my last set of richmond 4.10s and bend the axle housing and axle on the rear and then i just recently shaddered my front set i am not sure how i go threw them damn gears cuz i dont drive it to hard but im thinkin it might of been since i had my blazer sitting for 4 yrs in a field w/only 50 miles on the gears and then started driving again and after a yr they wore out and went out or it also could be the wicked 2nd and third gear scatches i leave in the old automatic k5 there pretty bitch driven down the road and barkin 2nd at about 30 and 3rd at about 50 with 31's its nice but after the new recent gear swap and all other things ive down to it im takin it easy for a while till i get the 1 tons

13. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

are u sayin u jus threw the gears in there now in and they sat for a year? or the gears before that, i wont need em for a while either, but if you ever do get around to it, id appreciate it if ya gimme a messege, thanks...

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Holy lack of punctuation, Batman! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif </font>

15. k5blaze7

[ QUOTE ]
    are u sayin u jus threw the gears in there now in and they sat for a year? or the gears before that, i wont need em for a while either, but if you ever do get around to it, id appreciate it if ya gimme a messege, thanks...

[/ QUOTE ] the guy that had the truck before me is a good friend of mine and put new 4.10s in it and then made a bad ass 383 stroker and ordered a tci 350 transmision and a new built up transfercase and a shift kit and some other [censored] and got all drunk the first night he took it out and not have the motor broke in he got stupid and got on it to much and blew the 383 apart with in 50 miles of driving it then parked it and let it sit for 4 yrs then i bought it and put my 350 in it and drove it for a yr and was hard on it alot and but not that much just burnin out everyonce in a while and getting on it alot and barkin 2nd and third gear im a teenager so im gonna tear [censored] up since its my first car and i have all that power so i final threw a set of gears and then got new ones and still drive on them today but this winter i was driving in 4wheel drive on the with out my hubs locked in cuz of the snow and [censored] in case i got stuck id jump out and lock them in well i burnt up my gears that way so i threw in a set of gears in front so there new all around

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

and = . right?

I have no friggin idea what you just wrote.

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> Holy lack of punctuation, Batman! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]NO KIDDING! Dude, take a breather.

18. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]NO KIDDING! Dude, take a breather.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif