Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Choosing Valve Train

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

So I pulled the sbc350 out of the Blazer on Sunday and dropped it off at a machine shop today. I'm having it bored .30 over and installing 6" connecting rods with new pistons. I'm wondering what cam, lifters, springs, etc.. would be best? I'm looking for good low end torque but still would like to cruise around 5k RPMs.

Any suggestions?

Thomas.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

need some more info to be helpful.... early or late sb... carb tbi or?

what comp ratio... etc
    cam

3. Stoopalini

Good points ...... Early model 2-piece rear main, Q-jet carb and aprox 10:1 comp ratio.

Thomas.

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

5K cruising is quite alot. But for your low end TQ your not going to need anything fancy. Valve springs a step above stock should be fine, for around .480 lift max that you'll probably run. You will also be fine with a hydraulic cam, but might want to consider going roller since your cruise rpm is so high. But with going roller your going to shell out $400 by the time your done.

5. stevewix

stevewix Registered Member

aside from the obvious, the aboslute BIGGEST lesson that i learned with valvetrain is that cheaper IS NOT better. buy from a reputable company, spend a few extra dollars to do it right because man it sucks taking it all back apart when the cam goes flat and ruins your $900 crankshaft from all the metal!

6. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

As long as the valves are adjusted properly, no cam should go flat unless there are quite a few miles on it.

7. Stoopalini

Thanks guys.

The 5k cruising RPM is probably a bit high, let's say a 3k RPM cruise then. I want to be able to cruise at 65mph or so on the highway when making those road trips to the mountains/beach/etc without straining the components.

I am reusing the stock crank and the stock heads, just replacing the cam, springs, rockers, etc.

Thomas.