Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

choosing wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Aug 10, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

When I finally do get the $$ to buy new tires and wheels and a lift,, I want to obviously keep weight to a minimum... SO, how much weight savings would an aluminum or alloy wheel give me compared to steel? Which is lighter, alloy or aluminum... I don't really want to drop $1000 in wheels.... I have been considering Mickey Thompson cast aluminum wheels, they are only a litte over $100 a piece.......
    Does anyone make a cheaper light weight wheel? Will I even notice a difference by using this type of wheel, or should I just get some $40 steel wheels (I like the way they look better)...

I think I will get 16x8 wheels

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

For street and light trails aluminum is great to reduce unsprung weight and look good .

I like steel wheels on my truck because they look nice ( stock rallies ) , hold a bead good , and can be beat back ( big BFH ) if I ding em up on trail .

3. 78Suburban

how much weight difference is there between aluminum and steel wheels? I'm leaning toward steel due simply to the price....

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Something to keep in mind, last year at Uwharrie Elliot blew a bead but had to move to a flat spot so we could change it, it didnt hurt at all to watch a 40 dollor rim get drug over a couple rocks, a expensive to replace rim would be a different story.

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Steel wheels !!! Had a blowout on crosstown (main drag goes through city) had no spares onboard. So I put the blowout tire up on the curb, sidewalk, and drove a few kilometers to my sister's house taking my time. Bought a new set of tires and they beaded perfectly on the rims after the blowout. Wasn't worried about $40 rim as much as getting my truck to safety.

6. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I just feel better about having steel wheels. With the aluminums I had before, I was always worrying about scraping them up, or breaking them.
    I got five 15x8 steel wheels for under $200, shipped.

7. 78Suburban

keep in mind, these will see 90% mud 10% street and 0%rocks....... Does anybody know how much each of these weighs?

8. Gixx

Gixx Registered Member

I cracked an aluminum wheel in Ouray. No serious hard core wheeling, but some rocky-mountain crawling. I've gone to steel now so I don't have to worry about that any more. BIG difference in weight, a tire/wheel store should be able to give you weights on both types.

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and play devil's advocate, you have a freaking suburban, and you're gonna run boggers, the difference in weight between steel and aluminum is ridiculously insignificant compared to the overall weight of your vehicle. If you're worried about trimming that many pounds, sell the Suburban, buy a 'Yota, run Iroks, buy the alloys, then lose the doors, interior, and the beer gut :p:

10. 78Suburban

good point yall......... I'll run the steel wheels...

11. pauly383

You can even get caps, rings , and chrome nuts if ya want some bling on the street .... with the steelies :D

12. 78Suburban

bling is far from being my concern, just worried that the ol turd wont turn over boggers like I want it to.

13. pauly383

If I can wheel with highway gears , 33's , and a 305 ..... you can turn boggers :wink1:

14. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get a set of H2's off of eBay. I got 2 sets cheap. If I dent one, who cares.

16. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I cant believe so many people prefer steel there considerably havyer Alunimum looks soo much better in my opinion but you do have to protect them.... my next set of wheels are gonna be close to $300 EACH! (15x14 8Lug real wheels :D ) OOh yea and MT wheels are great and awsome priced they are forged for the price of cast and they have steel inserts in the lug holes

17. 78Suburban

cbbr, aren't hummer wheels 16.5? I've heard some people dis that size and I'm not sure why? are there disadvantages to that size like lack of tire avalibility? do they make boggers in 16.5? h2 rims are a good idea.. they're cheap on ebay cause pimps always have to run dubs....

18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Youre thinking of military hummers. H2 wheels are 17".

19. 78Suburban

found cheap hummer wheels on ebay and got all excited, then I went to intercotire.com.......... and they don't make boggers or tsl tires that will fit those rims.... darn...

20. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

For rim diameter or width? With width you have quite a bit of leeway, so if you think they're too narrow or wide, you can probably make it work. Diameter is another story.