Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chop Blazer wheel wells?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2LTrailblazer84, Jul 23, 2005.

1. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about chopping down the wheel wells on the interior of my full size Blazer to make room for a camping sleeper type arrangment back there. I want to cut down as far as it can go -- which I hope is near the point where the very top of the wheel well opening ends.

Now, I can't possibly imagine the suspension on my truck compressing to the point where the wheel would hit this.. but is it possible? It looks like serious over-kill to me.. but you never know. Has anyone tried this?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I can stuff my tires about 6" into the wheelwell, and have the scuff marks to verify it...but I run 40's on 5" of lift and my rear springs are very soft. I'd flex it as much as it'll flex and check for how much your tire actually 'stuffs'.

It depends mostly on lift height, tire size and spring rate in the rear.

Rene

3. 6.2LTrailblazer84

I've got 32x11.50x15 BFGoodrich tires.

I am not sure if it is lifted and if so by how much. I don't know what the stock height is for these. I've got a 84 full size 4WD Diesel.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Any pic's?

You could always add a larger bumpstop to limit up travel a little if it's somewhat close anyways. No better way to tell than to get the suspension as crossed up as it can get and then see firsthand. I'd guess with a tire that small (comparitively) that it would intrude into the wheelwell more than an inch or two at best...if it intrudes there at all.

Rene

5. 6.2LTrailblazer84

I think I can find a pic of a Blazer that looks real close to the same height. It looks like a pretty standard set up to me.

Could you check the flex by jacking it up some how?

I think these tires might actually be a little bit wider than mine.. but this Blazer seems pretty close to mine. I am pretty sure I have stock rims too.

[​IMG]