Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chop Saw or Compound Miter Saw?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, Jan 3, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I need to buy either a chop saw or a compound miter saw.
    I'm not trying to break the bank, so where can I get one cheap? I see them on ebay, but the shipping is inflated and kills the deal.
    What do you guys use (for cheap?)
    I should get a 14", right?
    Anything else? Never bought one before.
    -- Mike

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'd get the compound and as far as a 14, hell yeah.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Check out Harbor Freight, they have semi good stuff for cheap.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

How about this:
    Central Machinery 8-1/4" Compound miter saw
    [​IMG]

It's quite a bit smaller, but it's $50 shipped!
    I need to be able to cut 2" square tubing, which this will do.
    They do sell cutoffwheels in this diamter, right? (Insert duh here)
    What do you guys think?
    -- Mike

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Definately go compound and dont go any smaller than 10 inch. If ya can afford it go with a 14. Name Brand too. Delta, Porter Cable, Ryobi Milwaukee

6. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Mike,

Some advice, dependent on what you are using it for, and what your funds are go with a compound saw. I have had both, and would only go with the compound now. I've been banging nails damn near my whole life and I can tell you what ever you by, buy name brand. Dewalt make an excellent one, and it's usually a decent price from either Home Depot or Lowes.

Good luck.

Rob

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I just started working with wood and recently purchased a Craftsman(Sears) 10" Compound. If I did it again, I would have spent the extra $200 and gone for the 12" sliding compound. A slider is far more versatile and can cut a lot wider board. When I installed my laminate floor I had to borrow a sliding compound because the planks were too wide for my non-slider.

One last comment- good tools cost money. Price shouldn't be the deciding factor, because you get what you pay for. If you're a hobby carpenter, there's a good chance a quality tool will outlast you /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.....

8. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

My wife actually had a Harbor Freight brand 8-1/4" compound miter saw when I met her. I made fun of it, until I realized I can't kill it. I've remodelled 75% of our house, and have cut 4x4's with it. It still runs great. I would like a 10", but won't replace a working tool.

9. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

what do you plan on cutting with it...miter saws were designed to cut wood. that's why they are aluminum and plastic. chop saws were designed to cut metal that's why they are cast iron and steel. plus they spin at different rpms usually so a metal cutting blade in a miter saw may not work very well to cut with. i just bought a 14" dewalt chop saw and it cuts thru 1/4 2x4's like a hot knife thru butter.

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I got a Delta compound miter saw at Home Depot. It was like $125 and 10". I used it to hack up railing that I removed from my back patio. Worked great. Before I owned some Harbor Freight special. It shorted out after 3 months. If it would have lasted it would have been an awesome saw. It cut everything. Maybe I got a bad one, but I think I got what I paid for... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

For anyone in the greater San Diego area. I just picked up the 12in Porter Cable Compound Miter Saw for $145 at a place called GTM (they retail for roughly $300-330). GTM is a store that gets leftovers (brand new, still in box) from big wherehouse types of places (costco, sams club, etc.) and sells them way discounted. There is one location out by Gillespie Field out in Santee, and another in Lemon Grove. I've picked up sweet deals on worm drive skill saws, Dremels, etc. Worth looking, but it's hit or miss.