Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chop Saw question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oldassjeep, Aug 17, 2005.

1. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

I don't even know if I need it, but I want a chop saw. I will be making several things here in the next couple months, tube doors, cargo rack possible dive into some bumpers- if I ever get to the point I trust my own welding to have my truck snatched out of a hole or over a rock. Anyway I have seen that Habor Freight, Northern tools and Home Depot all have a chop saw in the $100.00 range. I know- you get what you pay for. But I actually have had pretty good success with cheapo tools. (Just jinxed myself) What is ya'lls opinion of this type/grade of chop saw?

Thanks

2. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Chopper

Should be ok. It's the angle grinder that provides the finesse IMO.

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

dont buy a dewalt, what ever you do

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Well so far Ive had good luck with power tools from harbor freight...(impact wrench, nibler, air sheers) Ive also gotten a complete tool set from there I use when I go on the trail or junkyard runs, so if I loose em I dont worry about 'em. My chop saw is a Craftsman with the cool laser line that doesnt line up anywhere close to where the blade cuts. Came with cool red safety glasses tho. Makes my blue Nova look black with 'em on!!! :wink1: You will find many uses for a chop saw. Then with a grinder, and maybe a counter top drill press and welder you can make just about anything!! Oh ya and a sawz-all for trail repairs!!
    :hack: :grind: :weld:

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I looked at the HF chop saw and it is like everything they sell - cheap for a reason. That said, I have several tools from HF that work great and I will probably buy a chop saw from them also. If I were going to use it a lot, I would get a better one, but for my use, the HF tools are fine.

6. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

just got my $10 cut off grinder with extra wheels from harbor today, works great :D

7. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

I have a cheapo grinder from Harbor Freight. Bought it after my cheapo Ryobi died during the wire wheeling of my '51 Willys frame. It saw ALOT of hours before it gave up the ghost. Anyway I have a Hobart handler 125 welder that I will be outfitting with the gas option soon. No drill press as of yet, but I have my eye on one of thise too.

I quess I will do abit more reading. I actually found a 7" chop saw at Northern tools for $39.99. But the largest stock it would cut is 1 3/4. Don't know I need much bigger than that, but would like to have the ability.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I bought my Ryobi fairly cheap at Lowes. It has a cast base which I prefer over a stamped steel base.

9. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Ive used my chop saw for exhaust tubing. I have the 10" blade Craftsman. I think you will be wanting something a li'l bit bigger than 7". GO BIG OR GO HOME!!! :saweet:

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree - get the bigger saw or you will wish that you did.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the $100-ish HF chop saw goes on sale every once in a while for $60... thats when I got mine. Just an FYI.

j

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a 14" makita chop saw that sucks ass. I have seen and used a black and decker chop saw and those rock and aren't that exspensive.

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whats up scott?
    You been hangin out with some young punks lately and pickin up the lingo? If i didn't know any better i'd guess you were my age. :rotfl:

[​IMG]

My buddy just picked up a decent chop saw for $25 at a garage sale.

PS. Greg has been waiting for your buildup advice on his 509/632 thread.

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have been talking with Greg on the phone and i'm currently waiting for him to send me some specs on what he thinks will work so i can look it over.

Damn kid these days think there is only the internet or something to communicate.

15. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have the HF chop saw, it works. its hard to get a straight cut with it though. when i tighten the clamp, it picks the peice up off the base and then tilts when you go to cut it. if you tighten it so it doesn't pick up, it ends up moving either which way.

if i was to do it again, i would get a band saw. much better IMHO

16. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I have the cheap harbor freight chop saw and hate it. The cutoff wheel wanders and it has NEVER cut a 90 degree angle on anything for me. I tried better quality wheels but it made no difference. It cuts more like an 80 to 85 degree angle.

The one I want is the Dewalt DW872 it doesn't use an abrasive cutting wheel. It's damn expensive but looks like it makes some very nice cuts.

17. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

don't but the crapsmen chop saw either. I returned it after attempting one cut.

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Anyone tried putting a metal cutting blade into a saw sold for cutting wood? They are more expensive but seem a lot more stable/accurate. I thinking of blades like in the DeWalt link above, not abrasive ones.

19. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

I think those blades are meant to run at slow revs.? The wood saw runs fast.

20. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

choppy saw

i use one at work quite a bit and i also have one at home. pay for the next grade better, better bearings and motor definitely last longer