Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chop Saws and flat steel - anyone else have problems cutting?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a 14" Dewalt chop saw that is less than a year old. It cuts great and I have had no problems with it except when cutting flat metals. I cant tell it is heating up the metal trying to cut into it so is this haulting the cut? After a while it will just spin in the groove with almost no sparks flyin hence no/very little cutting. But once it breaks through the metals is starts cutting good again. Is this a heat issue?

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I use to start from one edge, make a cut, move the piece in closer, make another cut..so on and so on; that is until I got me one them thare plasma cutters. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Or depending on the size, I would just stand the peice up and just cut down through it.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have the same saw. Haven't had that problem. Biggest problem mine has is that it doesn't necessarily cut at 90 degrees to the fence. It's a little crooked - angled. Pisses me off.

If you cut the piece on edge instead of laying flat will it go thru the material OK?

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

If it cuts crooked, take a square and draw a line on whatever your cutting, and square the blade to that line. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sorry I was goign to elaborate on that more but forgot. Yes when I stand it up it cuts great but some pices are too tall to either get a whole cut or even to go under the blade.

Now I have been cutting through one side, flip it and then cut the other.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That's normal (and irritating)

It has to do with the area of the cut, the more area the edge of the blade is touching the less effective pressure the blade can put on the material. Imagine cutting the flat stock with a hack saw...which way is easier to cut?

Stand it up if you can, if you can't then space the bar stock away from the fence an inch or more. Cut and it will not be cutting through the entire bar but will cut easier. Then remove the spacer and cut the rest.

Rene

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    After a while it will just spin in the groove with almost no sparks flyin hence no/very little cutting.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is completely normal, there's not much you can do about it.

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Biggest problem mine has is that it doesn't necessarily cut at 90 degrees to the fence.

[/ QUOTE ]

that mostly has to do with the quality of the cutting disc you are using. but it will happen if to much pressure is applied.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup, got the same saw with the same symptom.

What I did to get flat steel cut (skid plate stuff) was to install a metal cutting blade into my SkillSaw. Clamp a piece of angle iron to the flat for a fence to guide the saw to cut straight. The only thing is wear a face shelid. The amount of smoke and crap flying thru the air safty glasses aren't enough. With the skill saw you gotta kinda stay on top of it and the smoke goes right in your face making breating fun...oh and the skill saw eats up thoes blades like crazy so buy several of them.
    Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The qaulity and type of wheel that you buy also makes a BIG difference. Don't get the ones at hardware stores. Go to a welding supply shop or something similar. Get the thinnest, fastest cutting wheel they have. You get what ya pay for for the most part. The thinner wheels won't last as long, but will cut faster. I have a no-name 14" saw, and can lay 6x3/16" flat bar flat on the saw, lean on the handle and it'll cut it easily. I'd say go with a thinner wheel for sure. One problem with standing flat bar up on edge like has been described, is that the blade will have tedency to start out straight, but end up going crooked, usually to the right of the wheel. Lay it flat and the problem is minimal. With a good wheel it's not an issue. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I totaly agree, I went thru a handfull of thoes cheepy Harbor Freight cutting wheels......some even bust in half before I could burnum down.. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif