Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chop Saws

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Are there any out there on the market that cut more angles then just the standard 30*, 45*, 60* and 90*. What if I wanted to cut an odd angle like 33*, will some chop saws adjust in incriments in 1*?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm not sure about that but I can tell you to stay away from the Makita chop saw, I have one that is a piece of [darn]. I have used a black and decker and it is waaay better than my Makita.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Most of them have infinite adjustment from 90* to 45-60*. Just loosen an allen bolt and adjust the fence to what ever angle. Also, most of them have the degree numbers stamped into it somewhere, but 99% of the time they aren't worth a $hit. Easier and more accurate to use a speed square to measure your angles. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

To comment on what Scott said, I don't know much about the brandshe mentiooned, but as with anything, you get what you pay for. I have a cheap ass Ryobi chop saw. It's a pile of $hit. The best ones I've used are the more expensive Dewalt models. Much stronger and faster motor. The table and fence are built alot more solid. Handles more comfy. All this in comparison to my gay Ryobi.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have a 14" Dewalt, it handles well, but always cuts a little off square if the fence is square, so the fence always ahs to be at a slight angle, which sucks IMO.. So even the upper end chop saws aren't what I thought they should be.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

we have a milwalkee at work and it is nice. the only thing about it is if you push down too hard it will over heat the motor and will not start again for a minute or 2

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Ryobi's slogan/moto is "Noone knows wood as good".

Anyone out there using one the industrial units of any brand? I don't have a preferance as far as red, yellow, green or orange and that seems the be the only diff in the DIY models. If I'm wrong and there is a kickass DIY chop saw let us know about it. Prices would be great, too.