Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

chopped suburban

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 79k20350, Nov 25, 2005.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

anyone remember the pics of the bobbed and chopped sub? i dont remember the user name and im really contemplating buying a sub to do this
    i have found a few nice ones and want to be able to haul more thn just one other person. so i want to bob/taper and chop the rear. if anyone remembers the user or the pics let me know. thanks guys :D

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Cracks me up when folks answer their own questions. :haha:

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

daymmm that thing is sweet, maybe ill do that instead of buyin a crewcab :D wonder what the wheelbase is, and how much it was shortened.

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

that is sweet. :bow:

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

wheelbase is stock. he just bobbed the rear(all that hangs over the back tires and cut the top)

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

see also...

chopped&bobbed77burb

aka Bruce. He has a chopped 'burb on 42" TSLs w/ 1 tons. Its bad ass. Checked it out a couple of times when I went over to his pad to pick up some parts. Not sure if he has gallery posts here or not, you could PM him and get some pics though I'm sure.

j

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

theres a guy her named cornfed that has 2 late 60s early 70s suburbans that are way chopped... i mean toppped bobbed tapered and caged.

9. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

here's a pic i saved. not sure who's it is...

263713918NkBUcA_ph.jpg

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

That kid cheated though, he just capped the bed, im actually gonna bob it. :D

11. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

12. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

when I chopped & bobbed my burb I wanted to still have room behind the folding rear seat's for storage and have it inclosed . I built a frame out of 1x1x1/8 box and installed it 10" behind the rear seat area . it's also a structural member as it goes from the floor to the roof and from side to side . it is full welded and then I cover it in sheet metal (fully welded) and the I used some calking for doing rain gutter's and covered the weld all the way around . I bobbed 18" out of the back and installed a 31 gallon blazer fuel tank in the bed . the wheel base is 1-1/2" shorter then a long bed truck (128"?) . it's all inclosed and dry . for my sheet metal , I made a few cardboard templates for the side window areas , to go around the wheel wells , up the wall & to the roof AND make those 5 roof ridges tie in to it all I had to make 2 big templates for the area behind the seats . there is also the end cap's on the rear of the body . I also cut out the spare tire well & welded in sheet metal flush with the bed . It is alot of work . It was worth it to me as I wanted something with a longer wheelbase for stability and climbing w 42" swampers and also be able to load it up with camping gear and have room to carry 4 or more people BUT I hated the over hang on the ass end of the burb so it got bobbed . I haven't seen anything like it around here and I alway's get compliments on it ( maybe it's the camo paint?) . good luck :D

burbrear.JPG

mychoppedburb2.JPG

13. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

There is a guy in town here that has a chopped and bobbed burb, I will try and sneak some pictures of it if i see it around.

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

That tan one is a friend of mine. It is now OD green and narrrowed front/rear. It looks really cool.