Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chopper questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big_truxx, Jan 26, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I know almost nothing about bikes. I had never seen pics of a chopper that looked like they had 2 seats till today. Is this really a pic of a 2 seater chopper?

[​IMG]

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I could be wrong, but it just depends on who makes them...some people might make them for themselves, but also to take the wife out, or kids,....or someone...

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:thinking: I would not own a bike unless I had the option of showing off my nice significant other on it :waytogo: :grin:

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Also, I've seen a few motorcycle shows on TV...there was a lot with 2 people on them riding...but some of those were harleys though...

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Those fenders have internal struts and can take a pillion no problem. That is a very uncomfortable p-pad on the back tho!

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

well that's what I thought. I didn't think that it looked too comfy. I most likely will not get a chopper and get a more normal bike instead. Always liked the looks of the choppers but the price is up there and practicality is far off. I saw on tv the other day the new harley sportster (IIRC) is selling for around $6,500. About 1/2 the cheapest assemble it yourself chopper kit I've seen. :dunno: Still think they look cool but not worth the dough.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hot some nasty heat discolouration there

If I ever get rich, I'd like to built Cloud's bike from FFVII, blacked out combletely, that badass half front fender/bumper

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Thats why a lot of them run heat shields to cover the discoloration. Now you can buy ceramic liquid to coat the inside of the pipe to also reduce or eliminate the blueing.

Many bikes come with a small passenger pad also known as a "Bitch Pad"
    If its a softail type they are tolorable. If its on a hardtail type, your going to be sore. Back in the 60's / 70's they ran a double banana seat with real tall sissybars and high passenger pegs so the old lady could ride in a reclined position.

[​IMG]

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

That's cool. But I think I will go with a more normal bike as oposed to a chopper type. Will most likely be better for what I want. :)

10. Resurrection_Joe

I want Onizuka's bike!

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Don't believe I have ever seen that one. What does it look like?

12. Resurrection_Joe

I can't remember, it's from an anime, just a really modded out old style Yamaha. Smooth tail, before all that crotch rocket styling

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Cool. Sounds interesting. I decided to go with something like the yamaha Virago or the honda shadow type bike when I get around to getting one. Something in the 600 to 1100 cc range. Just to cruise around with and eventually ride my girl around on. When I get around to getting one of them... Yeah That will be a while but at least I can cruise my bike and enjoy it myself :grin:

14. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

If your other is going with you the 650 size is not enough in that style of a scooter. Get atleast an 1100 in a v-twin. In an older inline 4 atlest a 650 would be ok. Trust me a 650 v-twin does not have enough power to get out of the way and will want bigger soon. A virago 928 from the late 80's were nice but if you go alot of places that harleys go you will get the question. That ain't a harley is it? And you have to say no I don't want to have to clean up the pond ofoilaround it before i ride. I really like old parrell twins but my wife won't ride so i thought might as well get something a little faster like a yzfr6. Only 156 stock.

15. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

a good frined of mine just got a VTX 1200 (honda) it has a HD look to it, and there are a ton of mods available for em. Hes a big guy (6'3", 260 easy) and it fits him great. It was a fraction of the cost of a new HD would of cost him....and its prolly (in the long run) more reliable. For what its worth, his wife loves to ride b%$ch...its comfy. I myself have a crotch rocket....well, don't ride it much cuz it needs a ton of work now...clutch burnt out 2 yrs ago and I haven't had the desire to fix it. Anyway, I'd look at the Honda cruisers...I'm not a fan of the Yamaha ones lately (I am a Yamaha guy, own 2-had another 1 10 yrs ago) By the way, choppers aren't as easy to ride, the ride position is awkward and the turning radius isn't impressive compared to other bikes. Hope that helps.

16. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Thanks for info :waytogo: I have already decided not to go with a chopper. Still love the way they look but it really wouldn't be what I want. as for a vtx 1200.. I seriously doubt I will want to buy a new bike anyway. for that kind of money I could totally complete a single chevy project from start to finish. A used slightly older bike I think is much better suited to me. Especially since it would be my firt bike. :grin: