Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Choppin top?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dieselmh, Sep 8, 2000.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to buy a 1976 K5, but I was really hoping for a '75 or older because I really want a fully convertable top. How much money/work is involved in chopping off the top. I am not worried about putting in a full soft top. I want to spary Rhino liner inside the whole thing and just run it with a bikini top. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Diesel

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.[​IMG]

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If you really want a full convert, I would just keep looking for a 75 or older, a lot less work, do a search on this topic because a few people were talking about not that long ago. Might be easier to weld in new windshield frame. On another note, I saw a full-size Bronco out in Moab with the roof cut out and two bars welded in with a bikini top, it looked sweet, even for a Bronco, this way you had the best of both worlds, maintain rigidity for off road as well as open air, man I should have taken pics of this thing.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

This was brought up awhile ago,and most common answer was it would be cheaper to buy an earlier K5 with a full convertable top,than to cut the top of an newer K5! Hope that help's also you might want to try a search under TOP'S

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It all depends on how ya want it to look. It takes very little work or skill to hack the top off above the windshield and saw off the doors. You will need to weld in a filler panel above the windshield to keep rain and creatures out of the cavity. The parts for the doors are available from most of the catalogs. If ya want a real nice job and don't have the skills it still shouldn't cost too much to have it done. If you're not planning on running any kind of factory top, hard or soft, it would make everything much simpler. Check out the Money Pit...he's got some nice shots of the process. Once again, these are merely my opinions.....

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Keep looking for that '69-'75, you'll be much happier in the long run(I am, anyway).