Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

chopping the top on a 2nd gen...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, May 4, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ok, I know some of you guys have done this. For those who have, got any pics showing the process? I want to run a bikini top afterwards and was thinking about keeping 1-2" of roof near the windshield to allow for this. How much gap is there between the outer sheet metal and the inner? wait... it is 2 layers on that part of the roof... right? lol. My headliner isn't even removed yet, just trying to figure out how I'm gonna do this so it don't look like chiat. :grin: :cool1:

j

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

There are two layers of metal, had to go through them putting my antennas in. I'd day they're about an inch apart or so, but don't take my word for it... it was a while back when i put the antennas up.

3. jekbrown

cool beans. I was thinking of getting some small square tube, however big that gap between the two pieces of sheetmetal is, and welding a whole series of pieces of it across the cut edge inside that gap... then welding angle to it to provide a good place to mount stainless snaps for the soft top. I assume I'd have to do it in parts cause the roof has some curve to it and one piece of square tube wouldn't work. Only way to know is to have seen a chopped roof though... :) want to do what I can to keep the windshield frame as rigid as possible and allow for soft top mounting. I dunno, maybe I'll just do whatever I have to do to fill that gap and then have that area Line-X'd. ;) it'd wouldn't be very much area, shouldn't cost toooo much. anyway, whos done this?

j

4. jekbrown

bump...

j

5. jekbrown

well this sucks. :crazy:

I guess I'm going to have to do it myself... take lots of pics and post a write-up... cause you guys ain't helpin at all. ;) :grin:

j

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

PM Bowtie, he has all the pics you need.

7. jekbrown

good idea... sandman has done this too... but 99% of his pics are red x's these days. :(

j

8. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

sent you a PM. hope it helps. ;)

9. jekbrown

:grin: :cool1:

it does! the grinder/sawzall are comin soon... sorry sheetmetal lovers! lol!

j

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yes! Do a write up. :cool1:

11. jekbrown

i definitely will. I think my 52" spring write up turned out really good (it'll be posted in the "technical" portion of the main site when Steve puts it up) so I'm encouraged and ready to do more of them. I'm gonna do a cage, front and rear narrowing, custom dash etc etc. It takes longer when you jot down notes and take a bajillion pics but I think its worth it. Ive leeched more than my fair share of tech from CK5 over the years... I think its time for me to even the score. :cool1:

j

12. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I did a big write-up with lots of pictures on converting my 90 to a Full Hardtop Convertible and posted it here, but the pictures were lost when Steve had some technical problems. I rewrote it in Word with all the pictures and emailed it to Steve as he asked me to but it has never been put on the board. Perhaps Steve didn’t receive it as the file is large (3MB) and maybe too big for his email to handle. I resent him the same email today, so maybe it will soon be available.

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, some asshole crashed my server for me.

I didnt do anything about the gap, I just kinda left it there.

I'm thinking about cutting the whole thing off anyway now that its sorta messed up after being dragged down the wall on Upper. :crazy:

14. jekbrown

baja: thanks for the info. I know a write up on converting to full convertable would prolly be have a larger audience, but I wanna ditch the 2nd gen hardtop part to save weight and make it a million times easier to install/remove a full cage. I'd be interested in reading your word file and seeing any pics you have tho!

sandman:

I was thinking about getting some square steel tube to put into that gap in sections (6" long?). It wouldn't have to be continuous. At any rate, from there I'd weld a piece of flat stock to the tube across the entire width of the top. This would mainly serve as a gutter for the soft top so water wasn't pouring under its front edge. Tabs welded to said flat stock would allow for the attachment of stainless snaps for the bikini top at attach too. I think it would work ok... just have to take the various curves the top has into account somehow. Not 100% sure how to do that until I have the top chopped and can look at it. ;)

j

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

if you want to host anything i can host it at www.ck5junk.com if you'd like, just email it to me at branndon at gmail dot com

16. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thank You :D

http://coloradok5.com/full-convertible-conversion.shtml

17. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i just filled that gap by cutting three strips out of the Top that i had just cut off :P

18. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It took me about 10 minutes to cut mine off...
    I started by supporting the roof with a 4x4 and a floor jack...
    with a little pressure pushing the roof up...I saws-alled the rear B pillars...
    then I cut 1" away from the winshield...capped the 1/4's...DONE!!! :D

[​IMG]

Then my Dad made me a bikini. :grin:

19. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

That might not be a bad idea. You might want to attach it to your cage also. Mine wobbles all over the place since its not really connected in the front anymore. I plan on at least attaching the firewall to some of the exo supports. I mad a top type of thing and it seems to work OK. Keeps the rain off and the sun.

20. jekbrown

yeah, I could prolly attach it to the cage... just trying to figure out a way to do that that won't look dumb or mess up the functionality of a softtop. Should prolly put bushings of some kind between the windshielf frame and the rest of the cage eh?

j