Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

chopping the top question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by r.justin, Sep 23, 2004.

1. r.justin

r.justin Registered Member

I have a 77 2wd blazer (body and frame) that has 78 4x4 underpinnings. esentially I took a rusted out 78 and put everything off it onto a 77 body and frame. I have been kicking around the idea of cutting the top off to have a full convertable like the 75. Is it possible, has anyone tried it, what problems to look for/ precautions to take?

thanx for any feed back.

R /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I chopped my 81, grafted a '74 windshield frame on and now run the '74 full 'vert topper as well.

the biggest problem is body sag once the steel half cab is removed. Most guys run a 6-10 point cage to fix this problem.

This is the cage I run...

[​IMG]

Prepping the new windshield frame...

[​IMG]

frame done...

[​IMG]

Rene

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I hacked mine off. I wasn't worried about fitting a top back on it or anything like that, so I just took a sawzall to it a few inches back from the windshield. I haven't wheeled it yet to check the body sag, etc... but I have a cage in the back too so I don't know if that helps. I will be adding a front cage before it hits the trail again.
    [​IMG]

4. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i've done it.. plus maybe a little more. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

5. r.justin

poohbair that is what I was thinking but I want to use my blazer to haul parts around so rain is an issue as for trustyk5 that looks really nice. I dont think I could find a front glass though.

I was thinking of cutting mine off, after I put in a cage for support, and then welding in a plate to bolt or snap an earlier full top too. think itll work?
    R. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

God Rene, that cage is sweet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Sorry to say but body sag happened to mine, but I also took the front clip off. If you aren't going that far, you might not I have that problem. I don't belive mine happened until I took the front clip off, and I also have sliders welded in, in place of my rockers, What I am saying is that the front clip can support the firewall and windshield frame if your front clip is thier.
    But I found on mine that once it was gone the body mounts themselves sag, and so went the firewall and windshield.
    Just my .02
    Like Rene said, A good cage can eliminate it, if it is tied in right.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont think I could find a front glass though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surpip is selling a windshield frame, topper and brackets...and they come up pretty regularly. I put up a wanted ad and had a couple replies the same day. Topper I got for $150 from Chevyfumes, windshield frame I got from T-Roy for another $50, and the topper brackets FWP is sending to me for nothing.

Having the right windshield frame makes a world of difference. I ran my truck without the cage but with the old windshield frame cut and the full topper bolted to that using some brackets 'Fumes made...it was OK, but not great. The whole deal just fits a lot better now.

As for body sag, even with a front clip I had 1/2" to 3/4" of sag at the doors, and that was with welded in rock sliders. When we threw the full topper on the truck at 'Fumes' place we had to use a hi-lift under each rock slider to get rid of the sag so the topper would bolt up. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Rene

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I also have another full topper for sale again if your interested...

10. r.justin

Im thinking that I will do this but, due to money issues at the moment, I will probably wait till spring. if I get money I may go off the deep end and do it in the middle of winter, sounds typical for me actually. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifR /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif