Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

christmas tree,real or fake??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by boggerless, Dec 10, 2005.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i grew up with real ones,up until i met the wife. she had a fake one and we have used it ever since. 9 years. i miss the real ones,the smell and all.what do you guys like?:D :xmas:

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I grew up with real ones also, but because of my niece, we can never have a real one again unless we don't want to have her over for xmas

3. boggerless

is she allergic to pine?

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

For why?

We've always had real ones as well.

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Real always. It wouldn't be Christmas without the family arguing about which one to get, then arguing all the way home about which one we did get, and finally nothing says Christmas like dad cussing at the chainsaw and the tree stand at the top of his lungs. I wouldn't have it any other way :haha::haha:

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

A pine Christmass tree:haha: :haha: :haha: doug fir or spruce is the only way to go.

7. boggerless

:bow: :bow: :haha: :haha: :haha: man,thats great.:laugh: :laugh:

8. boggerless

:haha: all right all right:laugh:

9. boggerless

they do burn faster.pine that is.:eek1:

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Haven't had one for years..

We always had a real Christmas tree when we were kids..my dad took us to go get one,and we'd always pick the 11' tree for our 8' ceiling,and have to saw off 3' to make it fit!:haha: ...

Then as we got older,it was a pain using a real tree--needles all over the floor,etc...we drifted over into fakedom,and bought artificial trees..my mother bought several of the "pre decorated" ones,and discarded or gave them away every year..( A few are still out in the woods beside the house,imitating real trees!:p: )..but even those got to be too much of a chore to set up every year..

We'd have to tie the top of the tree to the wall with an eye bolt,because our cats thought it was GREAT having their very own "climbing tree/ scratching post,not to mention all those pretty glass balls they could sneak off with,and smash by rolling them down the stairs..:rolleyes:

We now have only a ceramic tree about 2' high we put in the bay window--it has "lite brite" kind of fake lights all over it,with one bulb inside..I never cared for messing with tangled up lights and stringing the tree..I do feel bad that many of our aincient ornaments we made as kids and my mom and dad had at their first Christmas are packed away in boxes in the basement..but they would probably get broken anyway..

Christmas has never been the same since we moved away from my hometown..it was fun here too,until we lost my dad 5 years ago..its not a very fun time of the year for me..I can't wait for it to be over with..its mostly for the kids--..

I know this time of year bums out a lot of the older folks--including me..it would be different if I'd gotten married and had kids,but I didn't..instead I now tend to dwell on who's no longer here this time of year--and all the happy times we had at Christmas at my grandmothers house,etc,when I was a kid....:( Sometimes I wonder if all this "Santa" and all the Christmas hoopla does is F*** you up emotionally as you get older..? :screwy: ..but its a blast when your 10 or younger!..

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I grew up with the real ones also, but I have a fiber-optic Christmas tree now. Easy and doesn't cost anything too reuse it year after year.

12. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

We got a real white pine this year, at least 8' tall, and prolly about 5' diameter. Nice tree for $45!

13. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Both, big mofo of a fake one up stairs and a big pine for downstairs, dont ask me why because i have no clue:crazy:

14. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

The grandma used to always get real ones, but she's had to finally give in and go with a fake plastic one mostly because of the reduced weight, but the reusability has been a plus too. This year was the second year in a row my brother and I assembled it, but the grandma and I decorated it this year instead of the brother helping me.

15. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I just uh... "liberated" a Christmas Tree for my aunt tonight! My granny lives across the road from a tree farm. She asked what I was doing with a saw, boots, and bdu's, and I told her X-mas tree shopping. She told me to be careful. My grampa told me not to lose the flashlight like my mom did one year!

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

We always had real until this year. The wife is OCD and has to have light wrapped on every ****ing branch on the tree. Well she found an "artificial" tree that is pre-lit and it looks suprisingly real. Actually has shaped needles not the plastic green tinsel like needles. It is 7.5 ft tall and has 1800 lights on it. Put it in the stand it unfolds on it own, plug the 3 pieces together and plug into wall. Decorate as you see fit.:D .

Ira

17. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i love real ones, and despise fake ones. i think when you go fake (unless it's due to physical ability or allergy) the real light of the Christmas spirit goes away. my mother got a fake one and this is the first year for it, i despise it and will not have anything to do with it.. so count me for real ;)

18. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I have a 2' prelit fake tree. That's about as big a tree as I'm allowed to have in the dorm room :mad:

I call it my 'Charlie Brown Tree'.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

small trees best..

My late friend always had a 2' "phoney"tree in his bedroom widow..his mother used to set it up every year since he passed away in 1994,but she sold the house a few years ago to her nephew..not sure if he carried on the tradition,I doubt it..it would rip my heart out to drive by and see it lit up in the window--his mom called it the "Charlie Brown" tree too...

I have a brand new in the box 12V Christmas wreath that hangs on your truck grille I got as a gift about 5 years ago..its under my bed..I think it looks a bit gehy,so I haven't tried putting it on yet..:cool:

My older brother put a 2' tree on he roof of his 65 GMC plow truck one year,he found if you wired pairs of bulbs together you could run them on 12V..the cops pulled him over almost immediately,and made him take the blue light bulbs off--had to put green ones in instead!:surepal: ..

Now that we have those 110v inverters cheap,so all kinds of wild ornaments are mounted on cars around here now,complete with flashing lights, and Christmas carols playing on the CD player..:rolleyes: ..I saw one guy with "Rudolph" in his back window last night..had red eyes that lit up when he put the brakes on!...:eek1: ..thought it was pretty cool!.:crazy:

20. boggerless

i understand about the cats.:laugh: :mad: gottie the destroyer broke all the wifes ornaments that she had from childhood.:doah: AND i understand about losing people.after my mom died 2 years ago,the family christmas party wasn.t the same.but we get older and time passes. the party this year was great.:bow: