Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chro-mo front shafts and CTM u-joints

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jun 9, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about picking up a set of the ORD Chrome-Moly front shafts and some CTM ujoints to get the strength needed to run a 38" or bigger tire. You make it sound like the shafts are strong enough and the U-joints are the weak link. So with the bomb-proof CTM u-joints and some premium ball joints, along with a quality ring and pinion and carrier would it be safe to run say a 39.5 or a 40 inch tire and be pretty safe? Also if the shaft was to fail and the CTM joint is installed would one get a replacement shaft under the warranty?

Most of my off roading is eaither mud or trails, I would like confidence if I do some rock crawling. I never get air born or anything crazy.

Thanks
    Brent

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

They only warranty the shafts with stock type joints, a high strength ujoint is guaranteed to break the shafts eventually.
    You may be Ok going this route with 38's but I don't think you're going to be cost effective going that route with bigger tires than that. There is some leeway in how trucks are used but you're talking about $600 worth of axles and about $300 in joints. That's a good part of the way toward a D60 which would be ideal for 40's.
    I've seen the ears stretched on the chromo axles with spicer joints so I think the problem will be long term durability.
    There may be some cheaper D44 shafts on the market later in the summer and then I would consider trying them with CTM joints. If you mess them up you're not out much cash.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Stephen are your chro-mo shafts shot peened?

4. Stephen

No they're not shot peened, or rather if they are I'd be really surprised, the material surface looks to be in as-forged condition. shot peening might help induce some compressive surface stress that might help in the ear stretching problem. i don't know that there is a good long term solution for using a D44 setup with chromo axles at current pricing.
    This is not to say that the new superjoints (of whatever brand) with chromo axles isn't a good setup, they do give you an edge by moving the break point of the axle assembly from the joint to the shaft, but I don't know that it's a huge increase in torque strength for the cash outlay. i've put a slight twist in a pair of stubshafts without breaking the joint at one point, so they're strength can become a problem in addition to ear stretch.
    I think a super joint/chromo shaft setup would be nice in that your damage is probably not going to be sudden and catastrophic like a 297 breaking. You'll stretch the ears or break a stubshaft and with a little luck neither one is a major problem on the trail. But a chromo stub still runs over $100 to replace.
    All this said, we do have a couple customers using the chromo axles for fairly serious rock crawling with good luck up to 38" tires and the weak point is the joint. so increasing joint strength will give them a little edge and keep them from wiping out both shafts if the joint breaks.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Stephen, you sell the fuses for the Warn hubs don't you? Sounds like that would be an ideal solution for this. Since the CTM joints are so strong the fuse would surely be the weak point and the first thing to go. That said, I ran 38s on my D44 with the Warn shafts and broke 2 ring gears with it (one stock 4.09 and one Richmond) Also broke 1 Warn stub, twisted a short side and splayed the ears on another stub. I guess I'm kind of hard on stuff /forums/images/icons/blush.gif . Brent, the fuses are cheap and take about 5 minutes to replace on the trail if they were to break.</font color>

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the details. I read your review at off-road.com and thats what got me to thinking.. but I think I am just going to go D60.

Brent

7. Stephen

At some point a D60 becomes cheap due to breakage like Evan's. It's finding that line and committing to cross it that's the hard part.