Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chrome Air Cleaners & Extreme Cold

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Logan, Oct 16, 2000.

1. Logan

Logan Registered Member

I got my choke problem fixed up today -- Turns out that the yokel that owned the truck before me decided that a 1/2" of dollar store electrical tape is more than enough to cover up a wire splice. It had fallen off, and was shorting out on the vavle cover. Thanks for the suggestions!

In any case, I found out that the previous owner had also done some modifications on the air filter assembly...Namely, using a cutting torch to hack a 1"x3" hole in the underside of the air cleaner. Why? Who knows...

Rather than patching it, I think I'm going to junk it and buy one of the 14" chrome setups, but I'm worried about how these perform when it gets down to -30 or -40. The stock cleaner has the hot air intake from the exhaust manifold for a reason, and I'm wondering how the truck will act without it.

Any experiences?

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

not a good idea. the tube from the manifold is needed to get the warm air into the carb because they don't work well in the extreme cold. the temp inside the carb when running is alot less than the air temp going in. venturi,vacuum, air molicule science crap. the fuel can freeze and the truck wont run. I would go to a local junkyard and get the correct airfilter for it. and hook up the warm air system for best cold operation.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Whenever my heat stove operation is not working right, the truck idles rough for the first half minute or so if the weather is cold. I'm still trying to figure out how to run headers and still have this function. It seems that Q-Jets are rather picky when the temps are cold.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

4. tkjimmy

tkjimmy Registered Member

Just thought I would chime right in on this one. I have an 89 Jimmy with the 350 TBI. I just put JBA headers on, and they actually sent the adapter kit to attach the heat stove portion of my air cleaner assembly to the headers. It works better than ever, as headers heat up faster than the stock exhaust manifolds. Just thought I would mention this.

tkjimmy--Wa. State
    http://tkjimmy.coloradok5.com

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Courtesy of www.off-road.com
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tips.html

When headers are installed on a vehicle, the use of the air pre-heating system is lost. This results in a rough idle and stalling on starts. The problem can be eliminated by using an exhaust pipe adapter with one end the size of the hot airtube and the other end about 1 inch larger than the header tube size. Clamp the hot air tube, which runs up to the aircleaner, to one end of the adapter. Slit the other end 4 times, bend the two "ears" outward and clamp them onto the header tube. The new arrangement brings hot air from the header tube up to the intake just like the stock system. (This also helps when the vehicle needs to be emissions tested).

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://stoopalini.coloradok5.com/index.html

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Should not make a difference, once heated you pull in 100% cold air anyways. This is for emissions. Most pre 80 cars and trucks don't have this and they have no problems. If your state does a visual emission check you will not pass, I can see this being your only problem.

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I've run my K5 since 97 and my '77K10 for 3 yrs prior to that with just a manual choke and no warm air stuff on there. It idles and starts much better than any vehicle I've owned with an electric choke and the warm air stuff on it. personally, I don't think they do any good. my 2cents.

Cruisin in my '73.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

But remember, the choke, carb and thermal vacuum switches will be different for a vehicle that came with the warm air stuff than for one that was never supposed to have it.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700