Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chrome Molly Axle Shafts for a 10B Front

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Aug 4, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Hey... I'm looking to see who carries these suckers and how much they run... I know ORD and Warn sell them, but who else? These would be in a 10B up front 30 spline count (off an 82)... I'm buying some axles off Matt (BabyBlue)... his shafts met their death at Hollister so I figure if they gotta be replaced might go and get something stronger? Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

Stephanie
    <><

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

If Im not mistaken you can get them at drivetraindirect.com. But I'd rather get them from Stephen.

Does anyone have a grinding disk I can borrow?[​IMG]3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. ChevyCaGal

As much as I'd love to buy from ORD, I have to price around. $600 is a lot of money to me for this set up from them... so if anyone like I said knows of anyone else where I can at least compare prices and quality that's all I really want.... [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>

4. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

I know moser engineering is selling these as well check them out!!! I'd still buy from stephen though!!!! CC

1991 Fullsize 5 1/2"lift, 37"ssr's,10Bolt8 lug , 14Bolt ff, 4:56 Detroit rear, 12"fr. 14"r Bilstein remote res.350 P.F.I , 700r4 , 241c W/ sye

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My question is, WHY? What do you do with your truck anyway? My friends run 44s on 10 bolts and the ones that run small block engines can't even break the u joints. I've NEVER seen an axle shaft break, front or rear, and my friends are insane.

I just simply will never understand how you guys break so many front axles. I've only seen it happen a few times under big block power with 39+ inch tires. Maybe you guys just read to many magazines or something.

Or you do that rock-crawling thing. I imagine that would break a lot of parts considering the boucing and hard surfaces.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. ChevyCaGal

Cuz at Hollister 3 axles get broken in 3 days... If I have to pay $200 for a set of 30 spline long shafts, I figure why not buy the $300 a set chrome ones which will last longer? I was/am considering buying the whole set up though and that's why I wanna price around to set whose sets run what.... An u-joints bustin can butterfly and tear up a shaft. I'd like to try the alloy ones to see if they hold up....... I'm curious on how your friends wheel with 10b's and 44's under there? To me that's crazy... but do they run mud or rocks? That'll make a big difference as well on things breaking.....and no I don't read too many magazines... [​IMG]

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mud. Only mud. There are no places to go rockcrawling in Illinois.

I've never broken an axle and I beat my truck to no end. Only person I know that's ever broken one is more insane than me and has a big block.

On rocks, I can really see damaging more parts easily, but in the mud, I just don't see the need for a Dana 60. My friends with 44s on 10 bolt fronts and D44s and 12 bolt rears are pretty wild with their trucks too. The one that had a 12 bolt in back with 44s now has a 14 FF, but he never broke the 12 bolt.

I guess none of my friends run anything bigger than 38" tires on 10/12 bolt rears anymore but they have before and haven't broken them.

That's why I can't imagine breaking so many axles. I'll be the first to admit it if I ever break one, but I never have. I have spare shafts though just in case, in fact, I think I might have two sets of them.

I don't crank on my wheel all the way and slam on the gas, but I don't baby my front axle either. I am not locked up front but I really haven't had a lick of trouble. My axles have new u-joints anyway.

Tim

8. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

What really destroys them is the turning, they are more suceptable to breakage in a turn, when you're trying to crawl up a rock and the fronts locked.......etc straightline mud runs are an entirely different set up circumstances, its really just the differences is the type of wheelin' we do out west

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Rock, lockers, turning, low-range, and grippy tires. That's what causes axleshaft breakage. Remember, the lower the overall gearing (tranny with low 1st gear, low-range in the T-case, maybe a Doubler, low axle gears), the more the engine's torque is multiplied. The 300-400 ft/lbs the engine puts out can be multiplied well into the thousands of ft/lbs when it gets to the axleshafts and U-joints, and from the little bit of rockcrawling I've seen in video, sometimes one front wheel is pulling most of the vehicle's weight uphill, while turned. Rock will NOT yield, a grippy tire probably won't yield, so something's gotta give if the vehicle won't keep up with the drivetrain.
    Now (tractionwise) mud always yields, so it's a much easier medium to wheel on (in) than rock, as far as drivetrain stress goes.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

10. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

i'm down here in san diego, i snapped an axle the other day playin in the hills, i'll go with ORD when it comes time. right now i get a pair of long shaft's for 150. but i plan on getttin the good ones later.

'74 350,t-400/205,d44(L/S),12b(detroit)cutout doors, thrashed an twisted

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You wrote:
    "These would be in a 10B up front 30 spline count (off an 82)... "

If the axle was from an 82 blazer it would have 28 spline shafts. 30 Spline front shafts didn't start until 88....

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

12. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Well according to this sites Specifications page, 30 spline 10bolt axleshafts started in 89.

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

OOppsss... Ok, 89.. [​IMG]

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

14. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

heh, no worries man

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

15. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, you guys are right about the 30 splines not being in there til 89, but if this is the same axle that Matt had in his Blazer then she is right. Matt swapped in a ARB with 30 spline axleshafts if I remember correctly, if it is the same axle he was telling me about. If this isn't the case, then yes, she needs 28 splines, not 30...

16. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Keiths right, it has a 30 spline ARB, thats one reason we couldn't fix it on the trail, nobody had 30 spline 10 bolt shafts, we all had 44 shafts, but sadly none for a 10 bolt.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

17. ChevyCaGal

Let me reword that... they are 30 spline... they came off Matt's 82 who got them off of a 90 I believe... [​IMG]

18. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I have them in my 44. they are awesome. I paid 520?? shipped to my door including Spicer ujoints. The price was very right. I also bought the Warn hubs w/fusible clutch rings.No Complaints here. BTW they are the WARN 30spl. shafts.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep guys, that's what I basically meant.

My friends run 44" tires with no problem on 10 bolt and D44 fronts because mud is soft and doesn't offer good traction very often at all. When it does you don't spin your tires like a madman anyway.

Rocks would really suck for weak parts because, like you said, not only the problem with one tire pulling, but add the angle from turning and a few other things and, pop, there goes a shaft.

Maybe I like cleaning up the mud now. It's easier than removing my tire, hub, nuts, bearing, rotor, caliper, backing plate, and spindle. All you need for mud is a pressure washer. You don't even need a doubler or a big motor. 1/2 the time you don't even need 4-low. Just a heavy foot and lots of tire speed.

And what I do isn't all straight on. You can turn in the mud, it's just harder and more risky, but it's better than a high speed run into a tree. The ruts help you to keep where you're going though if they're deep enough.

Tim