Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

chrome-moly axle shafts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChickenRammit, Jul 18, 2006.

1. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

where can i get chome-moly(or similar strength) axles for my 10 bolt front and rear ends?

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

3. stallion85

4. stallion85

My bud paid a $100 per side for his rear 10 bolt for some Superior Chromos. He never had any probs with them. Hopefully a lot of the AZ guys will post since they have a lot of experience with 1/2 tons and Chromo shafts.

And this is real world experience, not Web World experience....lol

5. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

cool man, i just ordered the shafts for my rear end, i'm gonna get the front ones on my next paycheck. have you ever tried the c-clip eliminators or would you recomend them? would it be a waste to use the c-clip eliminators with this strong of an axle? i've heard negative feedback on them in off road use.

6. stallion85

I don't have a lot of experience with a 10 bolt rear. I have had a 14ff for the past few years now in my K5....

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Superior makes the best chromo's pretty much. CTM makes the best ujoints for the 10 bolt front. In a rear 10 bolt with chromo's you will break the R&P, locker, carrier, or worst case axletube itself before the axles. A 10 bolt front with chromo's and CTM's will move the brakeage point to the R&P, hubs, carrier, or locker.

Under hard wheeling with good gearing and lockers Chromo's are still only good to about 35-37" tires. Under moderate wheeling you might get away with 38-39" tires.

If you don't have alot of money invested in your 10 bolts (lockers, gears, etc) look into swapping to 1 ton gear if you can find it for the right price. If you are set on running 1/2 tons then figure out how hard you are going to wheel it and buy accordingly.

What is your combo? How heavy is your right foot? Where do you wheel?

I personally don't have chromo's in my 10 bolt front and have wheeled it pretty hard with 35" tires and 37" tires. Sofar I have not broken an front axleshaft. I have ruined one shortside from use but they are cheap enough to replace. I have a pretty calm driving style though and keep my right foot in check as much as possible. Check out my webshots and CK5 gallery if you want to see pics of how I use it.

Harley

P.S. I am one of those AZ guys that Stallion refered to, but I now live in Colorado.

8. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status