Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chroming Parts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by USMuscle, Jul 20, 2000.

1. USMuscle

USMuscle Registered Member

Hi all,
    I want to chrome my Trailor hitch, axle/diff (10 bolt) covers, and front bumper guard. What is the best method to do this??? Are the parts just dipped???
    Thanks,
    -Dave

2. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

Check with a Hot Rod or Harley shop in your area, they can probably give you the name of a place that does that kind of work. One thing though, I've read that chromed diff covers tend to retain heat.

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

4. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

Here Ya go...

If you want to get some parts chromed, you need to find a good chrome plater that caters to automotive chroming. What that means is they have the right size tanks to put your parts in. Let me try to give you a brief explantion of how it works, and dispell some myths about it. Your parts are chemical stripped in a mild acid to get the parts clean, and grease free. They are rinsed with fresh water, then they are polished with various grit abrasive wheels to get them as smooth as possible. Once they have them smooth, they are hung on a rack, and dipped in a copper tank. The copper is soft, and works as a filler to smooth the parts out even more. Next they go to a nickel tank. This gives the part a silver finish, and is the second layer of "triple chrome" plating. The third tank is the chrome or "chromium" tank. This works as a sealer, and is the hardest of the metals. The final step is to buff the part to a high luster that you know as chrome. Between all of these steps, the parts are rinsed to prevent contaminating the different tanks. The parts are also wired, so to speak, so that the part is a positive (+), and the tank is a negative(-). This creates an electrical attraction so the metal liquid adheres to the part. This process does harden the part some,it doesn't make it so brittle that it is fragile though. Only the chrome plating is brittle. It does retain more heat when chromed, but it not so much that it becomes "Show Only". If you need to know more, just ask...

<font color=purple>N2TRUX<font color=purple>
    http://n2trux.coloradok5.com/

5. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Here Ya go...

Is there anyway to get chrome pieces restored? My blazer has alot of chrome and the front brush guard has rust forming at the welded spots and I would like to clean it up instead of wasting money on a new one.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

6. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

Yes, but sometimes...

It may not be worth it. Unfortunatly the platers didn't clean the welds properly, which is common in production plating. It can be re-chromed, where they strip the chrome by reversing the process.This cost almost as much as having it chromed, but may be a little cheaper since they don't have to do the entire grinding/polishing process again. The problem is, even though the results will be better than the first time, it may cost almost as much if not more than a new piece. Thats the difference between the cost of production plating which is usually done in a foriegn country with cheap labor, and custom plating done by craftsmen in the good old U.S.A...

<font color=purple>N2TRUX<font color=purple>
    http://n2trux.coloradok5.com/