Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CHROMO D60 SHAFTS

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by RUSS84K5, Jan 9, 2001.

1. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

ANY PLANS FOR CHROMALLOY SHAFTS FOR THE D60 FRONT END? I KNOW THAT THERE ARE THIN AND THICK ONES. AND A THICK INNER IS PRICED CLOSE TO THE 170.00 FOR A 10B/D44 CHROMO. SO COST WOULD DEPEND ON THE EXTRA MATERIAL AND DEMAND. ASLO HOW DOES FORD (FORD D60) SECURE THE BOTTOM OF THE SQUARE UBOLTS THAT GO OVER THE DIFF SIDE OF THE AXLE. THARE IS SOME WEBBING THAT WOULD BE IN THE WAY OF A U-BOLT UNDERPLATE.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Nothing in the way of chromo D60 shafts in the works. There are some others building a chromo shaft and putting a d60 knuckle yoke on the end, or using a drive yoke, but I don't know the pros and cons of that. Everyone I talk to seems to think that if you use a 30 spl stub, you break the stub, you go to a 35 spl stub and break the hub, then go to a drive gear and break the ujoint. And this from some guys that run back east in rocks and mud and 44"s and huge power. Really abusive applications.
    Personally, I'm going to run the 35 spl stubs, and haven't decided on the flanges vs locking hubs yet. Past that, I'm not worried about it.
    I'm not sure how the ford axle works for ubolts, I've looked at a lot of them and just don't remember. It also varies by year, they've used the D60 from about 1978 to present.
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD