Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chromo's

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If anyone is in need of Chromo's for the D44 or 10 bolt you need to talk with Eric @ Desert Rat Tempe. I just bought a set for my 10 bolt from him. The price is VERY good. I almost bought a used set of Chromo's for $250 last week & didn't. I am totally happy I didn't because I didn't pay substancially more for my brand new Yukon's with Spicer ujoints & warranty. :D

Harley

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Kudos to Eric and the Guys @ Desert Rat -Tempe...!

They b 'da man!

Marv

3. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

What brand of chromos?

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Yukon, 3 year no question warranty.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

What about for a D60? I'll try to call tomorrow and check, I still need a short side at a minimum. I either need to by Spicer Stock, or go alloys...

6. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

If you're running chromos without some sort of super-duper u-joint, aren't you still going to have a lot of breakage problems? I thought that the u-jpint was already the weak point, even with stock axles?:confused:

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got a CTM I picked up a while back, but never found a deal on the alloy axles (and kinda got out for a while too). If I decide to do both sides, I'll pick up another CTM.

8. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

It seems like most manufacturers are picking the failure point. They would rather you break a U-joint rather than their shaft.

Here's an informative article: Click Here

9. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

The Yukon shafts come with the stronger Spicer joint from Yukon direct.

The warranty is based on the stronger Spicer joint, so upgrading to either CTM or Super Joint can only help it last longer.

I currently run Superior D44 shafts with CTM on both sides, and our last wheeling outing in Parker I broke the CTM outer stub shaft clean in half at the yoke and twisted the splines on the inner short shaft. No issues with the ujoint or the ears on the axle.

The shafts were under warranty and will be replaced.

I have however picked up another full set of Yukons with the Super Joint for spares, Marv and I will carry on the trailer for the times when the Superior shafts break. Hate to loose wheeling time to breakage.

Rob

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Sometime this year , after crossover , I may have to join the chromo big dog money men :bow:

11. Hossbaby50

I asked Eric about the warranty & the spicer ujoints and he said no problems as long as they were installed by Yukon in a kit like I bought. They also offer the stronger super joints in the kit also for more money, but still a damn good price.

I did not have the money for the stronger ujoint right now but eventually I am going to use the Bobby Long ujoints in mine when I get the cash.

Harley

12. Hossbaby50

I will have some stock 10 bolt stuff I won't be needing soon. :D Seriously though with a good Spicer ujoint in stock shaft with 35" tires you should have little breakage as long as you don't wheel with your right foot. In 3 years I NEVER broke a shaft with 35" MTR's. I ruined one set of ears after about 2 years but never broke one. Welding the ujoint caps in place helps alot in longevity. I still have the same longside axle in my truck I have had since day one of wheeling. It is finally in need of replacement after Parker but it could still be run as a spare if I re-weld the ujoint in place.

You would be much better suited with Chromo rear axles if you don't have them already before fronts.

Harley

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Cool , pauly wants the 10 bolt stuff . Check out my post thread and see if any of the stuff in my garage intrests you .

I don't plan on breaking alot , it just finally happened I broke a shaft this season coming out of the firehole ( go right next time at the exit ) . I am locked and 4.56'ed now though .

14. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

What do they get for the kit with the super joints?

15. Hossbaby50

You will have to call Eric for exact pricing. Just let him know you are from CK5 & who you are when you call.

Harley

16. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Damn Good Price!!! Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Wholly Chit batman. Price was cheaper in person than quoted over the phone. Anyone that has not checked this NEEDS to.

Pauly383 - You need to check the prices.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  17. Hossbaby50

The prices SHOCKED me too. I almost bought a set of used Chromo's for my 10 bolt on here for $250 & I am glad the guy sold them out from under me. I didn't pay much more for a new set of chromo's w/ujoints and warranty then I would have with those used axles, spicer ujoints, & shipping.

The coolest part for me was the 10 bolt stuff was a little cheaper then the D44 stuff. Proves one of my points of how 10 bolt fronts are better then D44's :D .

Harley