Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chronic front "U" bolt loosening problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by opfor2, Sep 29, 2006.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I'm having a chronic problem with the front suspension U bolts loosening up on by 90 Blazer. I would tighten them to spec's and after a few month of driving they would loosen up again. This would be evident when I hit the brakes I would hear the front axle "clunk" both right and left. So what would be causing the u bolts to loosen up? This is getting old and frustrating.. Any ideas ???

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thay are streched out and shot. junk them and go buy some new ones. 5/8 rod is best. its stronger than the avarage size some places like to give you.

i dont tourqe mine. i just run them on with the impact. havent had one come loose yet. but never reuse ubolts. this is the kind of problems you will find with them.

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

My guess its a combo of stretched bolts and worn nuts.... Like sweetk30 said, replace them, places that make them include all new hardware and it will hold great.

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

get new ones. run them on with a gun then yank em down tight with a breaker bar. I have never had a problem with new ones. tighten once about a week later then thats it.

5. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

OK, any suggestions on were to get new ones??

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

spring shops should be able to make anything you want. I know offroad design can get them for you.

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I would start by looking in the phone book for a spring shop. Maybe look under trailer supply section or something. That is how I found one here in Vegas. Take your old ones in, keep in mind the front axle uses 1 different size u bolt around the housing. Most shops bend them right there and provide hardware to boot:)

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

and if they give you a regular nut, throw it away, and get some prevailing torque lock nuts. we use them all the time on 50,000# motorhomes, i dont see any reason not to use them on a truck that weighs 1/8 of that.