Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chrysler parking only

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ruthven13, May 12, 2005.

1. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Has anyone seen the article about the Chrysler plant that forces workers who own non-Chrysler vehicles to park far away? If not, here is a summery. The plant reserved 80% of the parking spaces in it's parking lot for workers who drove Chrysler vehicles. If you drove a non Chrysler vehicle and parked there you would get towed. Here is a followup The comments posted here are the best part. People are stupid.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Stupid. A car is a huge investment for most people. To tell someone they have to drive the one you want them to or else you may be without parking or have to park far away, is just retarded. What do they do about the Handicapped guy driving a Honda?

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

That used to be the norm at auto plants. Up until about 15 years ago, non-GM cars weren't even allowed anywhere in the parking lot at the factory where my parents work. I agree with it. If a company is paying your wages, you should support it by buying its products and certainly shouldn't buy the products of a competitor. Of course employee and employer loyalty are things of the past.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If you just started there and can't afford to buy one of their products? I don't see why I should be loyal to some huge faceless corporation. You are nothing to but a number on a paycheck to most of the people above you nowadays. Last I checked this was America and I had the right to decide what I drive. So what if I like my job at the Chrysler factory and they treat me well? What if I had 5 Chrylsers that all ended up crapping out on me? I'm still suppossed to just go along cause I helped build the things. A job is a job, to some people its their life, to some its a means to their life.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

My uncle works for Chrysler and has told me about this many times, he's a plant manager at that very plant (in Kokomo). However, he also gets a "green sheet" on every Daimler Chrysler he buys which gives him an approx 8K savings on 30K car. And this is not a new policy for management there, he has had to drive a Chrysler to park in his lot for years.

I'm not sure I completely agree with this, the lot belongs to them, they are not saying he can't drive a non-Chrysler, just that he has to park it farther way in another lot. It's their prerogative I think, they want to showcase their products at their location and they own the damn place, what's the big deal?

Everybody wants to tell the employer what rights they (the employee) has, what about the rights of the business? If don't want people with pierced faces representing my company, why the hell do I have to hire them. Here in Colorado they just made King Sooper's (a Kroger company) hire back a friggen pre-op transsexual due to his "rights" to live as whichever gender he percieves himself to be. That's all fine and good he wants his pecker sliced up and turned into a half-ass vagina, but it shouldn't mean I have to agree with it or pay his salary while he plays dress-up on my time.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you just crossed a huge line in my book buddy.

What gives a business the right to fire someone because they want to become a woman? You support the persons right to do that but think the business has some right to fire them? How could it possibly hinder his value to the business? Maybe if he were a sales person they could try and claim some bona fide requirements but I can't possibly see that unless they claim that a woman cannot do the job.

Now for the piercings, as a modified person I take offense to bans on tattoos and piercings. I'm lucky that I don't want to work in a suit and tie or office enviroment. likely anywhere I end up won't have such a policy. How does a person having a facial piercing or visible tattoo hinder their abilities as an employee? Because some of the public might not like it? **** the public. I don't like places that won't hire someone or will fire htem for that reason. For that reason, if I find a company that has a policy like that, I won't do business with them. They don't care though cause I'm just a dirty tattooed piece of trash to them I guess.

No business should have the right to fire a person for a reason that is not affecting their productivity or working abilities. Now if a person is causing trouble with a subordinate or management, but their work is fine, I say they should be able to be fired.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

If you think one's appearance cannot hinder the ability to deal with customers you have a rude awakening when and if you enter the business world my friend. As far as your "**** the public" comment, that is an awesomely stupid thing to say, my business is based on the public's impression of myself and my employees (as are almost all businesses) and an employee that shows up looking unprofessional and incapable of relating to your average Joe is worthless.

I'll pose a question to you, not even in an office environment, when you go to Auto Zone and there are two guys available to ask a question and one is a 40 something guy and the other is a kid (regardless of how he's dressed) which one do you choose to ask? The one who looks like he knows jack crap, that's who.

As far as the transsexual, I don't care if he comes to work as a woman when he is one or a man if he made that decision, just not in between and whichever gender he feels like that day. pick a friggen sex and stick with it. They were not trying to fire him, merely to prevent him from returning until his "issue" was resolved. It has nothing to do with man or woman, it's about the appearance of professionalism.

Don't fall off your high horse there MR. Idealistic, think about the real world ramifications of these people's actions.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's only OK to say if you don't make your money through the public purchasing from you... If the public doesn't like it, and you want to sell to the public, you'd probably do better to change to things that will attract the public to your company...

I hope to someday own and run a business. That said, I don't care if you have a stake through your head if you can effectively get your job done, with quality results. If I run a retail business and have a customer front, the guy with the mods is going to have to cover them up or work in the back of the store because of them.
    It also depends on the clientele.
    Something like a parts place is different, the clientele doesn't care, but if it's a restaraunt (the most recent thing I looked at getting into), where a lot of things will affect whether a customer comes back or not, it's unlikely I'd allow you to work with customers if your initial appearance is aggressive or uninviting.
    Things like a dress code don't seem unreasonable, right?
    A friend of mine that runs a business where he sends people on service calls has had customers ask that he not send certain techs because of their appearance. Fair or unfair, like it or dislike it, you won't be in business long if people are hesitant to deal with your company.

Employers in the U.S. can legally monitor all activity on an employees computer without that employees knowledge if they choose. And an employee should have no expectation of personal privacy while at work using the employers resources.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I ask whoever is closer and free to help me. I don't presume one person smarter than another. I've met plenty of older people who knew jack about cars or the job they were doing. If the kid is closer, I'll ask him. if he doesn't know I'll try to get someone else who does involved. Since when does being tattooed or pierced make one unproffessional or incapable of doing a job? I've met and known many very competent, very intelligent tattooed and pierced people. Heck more than 75% of the time I spend hanging out at the tattoo shop where I get my work done is spent debating points or discussing events like we do here on Ck5 daily. Mind you the people I'm talking to have tattoos up their necks and down to their finger tips. The only way I view such people differently is I feel an urge to talk to them about their decisions and art work. I know you have to tailor to the public, but no one will ever accept something you seem to feel is a fine choice for a person to make(as long as they don't want to work for you) if people are told its bad all the time.

I know I wish the public at large would accept something they won't. In many ways I hope they don't. I don't want to see everyone sleeved and tattooed all over, or pierced freely. The more accepted things become for others the more likely people are to do them, or at a younger age(note the increase of body piercings in younger and younger people, I'm against any modifications for someone under 18 years of age, beyond say a few ear piercings). But to say a company should have the legal right to remove a person because they are different is just something you should step back and REALLY think about with yourself.

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You're not at all listening to what I'm saying. It does not make you less professional or capable, it makes people percieve you as such. As much as I wish it were a fair world, it was explained to me long ago that life's not fair. I'm not here to fight the world to change, I'm just here to work within the existing rules of society as best I can. If you feel it's your duty to change the world, then more power to you, that's just not me, especially not for such a petty matter.

If you think I've never met nor had friends who were tatooed or pierced you are mistaken. I have many, and to make a point most of the ones over thirty wish they had never done any of it because it's easier to not get a tat than change a potential employer's perception when you're looking for that cushy job that pays 30% more. I cannot tell you how close I have been to getting tattoed in the past, my wife has two and they're not from before we met (I've known her 25 years, since I was 7 or 8), I even had the gay hoop earrings in the eighties to go with my even gayer Miami Vice ponytail. :laugh:

Again, I'm not saying people don't have the right to tattoo and pierce themselves, I'm just saying that there is a clearly defined societal prejudice which they all new existed prior to "modifying" themselves, so people should learn to live with the consequences of their actions, not do what they want and then try and mold the world around them to agree.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I understand your side, sorry for jumping on you. You are right its the way of things(sadly). For the time being I choose my work carefully and would fight the prejudice when I have the chance.

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the cool-headed reply, I was starting to worry that this would turn into a huge flamefest pissing match. :grin:

And I in turn will admit that being a business owner I am super-sensitive to these sorts of things, seems that everyone wants to tell me how I can run my business. :confused:

13. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

My brother workers for ford where the ford drivers have a prefered parking lot that is closer. This is just one of those things to me. I work at yamamha and our motorcycles have a good spot just for them at the front that is just for yamahas. Others have to park in the lot with the cars. If you want a good spot and ride then buy a yamaha. A few got some from the 80's but hey they get a good parking spot.
    As far as appearance of people and such it does make a difference when working in the public. If you do not get seen by the public this does not really matter but if you do there is a lot to do with work. Not working in the public but having to wear a uniform to work the company lets us know about acting up in public and how it affects the way people look at the company just wearing the uniform. Like people thinking if a company hires someone that acts like that I don't want to buy something of thiers.

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

People should be allowed to look how they want or drive how they want as long as they look and act professional.

You can take a streetsweeper mormon boy and if he doesn't tuck in his shirt and doesn't comb his hair, and has a bad attitude, he looks a lot worse than the neatly groomed shaved headed beaded pierced up guy that's being very nice to you in a store.

I'm so good with people I can wear my arab hat or have the mohawk going

Larry Erikson said I cooked him the best hamburger steak and american fries meal he's had in 20 years

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I really dont know what people are complaining about............ i wouldn't want to park around a bunch of Chrysler or Ford junk any how....... Kinda like pulling your car in line in a junkyard. It is only right that they provide parking for Chevys and other fine vehicles way away from all those orher heaps..

Last edited: May 12, 2005