Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chump change???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Aug 14, 2003.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

My 87 K20 (/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif)stranded me on a very busy freeway off-ramp, and I had it towed (AAA) to the place where my family usually gets our cars done... and they replaced the ignition module and ignition coil for approx. $360.

Question: did I just pay a ton of money for something I could have done myself in an afternoon/day? I am really wondering about this one. I didn't really have an option, but it would be nice to know. Any info would be helpful for future (God forbid) problems.

Thanks, Tom

2. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

it is not a hard replacement probly took them less than an hour to do....

3. ArrowheadK5

turns out about half was parts, half labor. Oh well. Only other thing I have to buy is school books. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Call up the auto parts store. Write down the most expensive brands they have (cheap ones will be $25 for the ICM and $18 for the coil). If you haven't kicked yourself in the teeth yet then once you know that at worst it is a two hour job then you will definitely kick yourself in the teeth.

The hardest part is getting the connectors off the ICM without breaking the tabs. Other than that, if you know how to take a distributor cap off you can do it yourself. Especially since both parts come with directions in the box.

5. ArrowheadK5

my truck has never started if it was cold and rainy, and so I have replaced the dist cap and rotor 3 times and the plugs/wires once. I am hoping that this was the actual problem, but I wish I could have diagnosed it myself and done the work. Problem is I don't have an garage.
    Oh well, live and learn.
    [kicking self in teeth] /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

What are the symptoms? If it won't crank over it is a battery cable.

If it'll crank over but not start in those conditions it is usually an ignition coil. A quality cap, rotor, ICM, coil, and wires will run you about $100.

7. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OUCH!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. ArrowheadK5

No, it would crank and not fire for a long long time. As soon as it got sunny out, and it had about 20 minutes to dry out, it would fire right the hell up.

Hopefully, it should be all fixed now ($$). Thanks for all the suggestions.

Now, anybody got a spare 81-87 fleetside box laying around? Preferrably light blue? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Tom

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

That hurts dude!

10. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Don't worry about the money to fix your truck. Stuff like that is hard to diagnose, especially on the side of the freeway. Just Remmeber the sysmptoms and pass your experience on to other CK5'ers if they post a question for a similar problem.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree, that's a tough one to diangose as you're busy trying not to get run over by traffic and stuff. You still would have had to get towed...and I doubt the tow truck would stop at the local autozone for you or lend you some tools/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'm begining to think I'm the only one who keeps one of these in the glove box. Eveytime time someone make one of those "what spares should I carry?" That's the the one thing I'll add.
    AAA paid the tow, right? Check your bill and make sure you didn't. As far as the bill, did they only replace the module? Yes its a quick job if you know what is wrong. But, 1 hr for trouble shooting, 1 hr for the fix, one module + shop supplies. I'm guessing $200 bill. Add wires, cap & rotor, or maybe a senseor and it would shoot up over $300.

13. ArrowheadK5

yeah, it was 1 hr diagnose, 1 hr replacemnt, and a coil and module, plus shop supplies. It came to about $354. Thanks for all of the info, guys.