Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Church rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by UseYourBlinker, May 2, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Re: Was Jesus Christ gay?

I dont know what the rules are for catholics, but WTF is with these archthings not reporting or taking any action??? After 20 years??

Umm, but how does that have anything to do with your subject question?

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Priest's follow Christ right... Does it say to rape young boy's?

4. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Gays have consensual relations with other adults of their own sex. Pedophiles rape children. So was Jesus Christ a pedophile? I doubt it.

-Aaron

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

i just want to know why people think Priests are different from any other person out there... Why does the church think they are higher then anyone else out there....

You know what would happen if these things where going on in other professions... All hell would break lose...

6. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Priests are human too. They screw up, they are tempted to do things, and some are mentally unbalanced, etc.

Priests are *supposed* to live by a specific list of rules just as Jesus did. No marriage, they believe that they are married to the church. Among other things... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

The hierarchy made poor choices in relocating problem priests, they should have been defrocked immediately and prosecuted, as those are not the actions of one following and being obedient to God... It might be argued that christians are supposed to forgive, however one can forgive while still removing the problem so nobody else is affected by it and prosecuting for said crimes and ensuring that justice is served is still acceptable.

*Why* they were not removed is something I do not know.

I don't exactly think that it's appropriate to compare a few bad priests to a gay Jesus or something... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Just doesn't seem like a good analogy.

That's like saying because a few gun owners cause problems any gun owner is going to cause problems, etc... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

There's a few bad apples in every group, even some in our midst right now, as evidenced by happenings here lately that everybody knows of by now (regarding for sale items)... And they spoil the image of many and cast doubt upon the entire group, or can.

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

This is just another point to prove how f'ed up the whole religion situation is. Its COMPLETELY corrupt. From the beginning.

Ken H.

8. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

As a wise man once said beliefs arnt what god wanted us to have its better to have ideas because ideas can be changed.

Chris rock from dogma.IF you have questions about religion watch that movie it will clear things up for you.

9. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

There are more than "just a few" bad apples. Take into account the number of priests that have committed these crimes(and those are only the ones that we know about, there's probably 50% more than that) Then add on the number of priests who knew and didn't do anything about it, (usually more than just one priest per case). How could there have been any question as to what to do with those priests that were abusing those children? The fact that there was any question whatsoever sickens me. They thought they could/should actually try to "reform" priests that were raping children? The fact that they gave them a second chance and even paid for some of them to go to college, preach at a different church or stay at a health retreat, is beyond words.

The Catholic priests turned their back on our children(which is what the were doing by not reporting it, thus allowing for it to happen to even more children) then why would anyone want to go into a church and have faith in them(priests)? Priests are suppose to be setting a moral example. If that's their example of being moral, then I must be reading the wrong book. I believe you can believe in God, pray to Him, live your life with high morals, be caring and considerate, help others and be a good person, all without going into a church to listen to the ramblings of a priest. People shouldn't judge others by whether they go to church. They should be more interested in how much good they do in this world and how much they help others.

10. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

BTW, excellent point.

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Personally, i dont know what to make of organized religion, but that's no reason to assume Jesus is gay by what a handful of his followers do. It is, however reason to sit down and truely think about religion in a church, which I've found to be the most hypocritical bunch of people trying to act prim and proper on Sunday. For the most part. Yes, I have some issues with religion, but I do believe in a God. And I do NOT think he's Gay. If he was, he'd be a big hypocrite too, by saying that a man should not lay with another man. It'd be pretty hard to follow that.

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Oraganized Religion. #1 cause of war.
    Sorry the church is so screwed up even if I had a strong beile in god I could't handle the brain washing and politics.

13. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

I have many problems with what the bible says... It is alot of double speak, and has no real facts in it.. It is all hear say...

as an example and something to think about..

According to the bible god created the heavens and earth.. Then created adam.. from adam he took a rib and created eve... Now adam and eve are the only humans on earth.. created in "HIS" image... being that they where created in his image then "HE" must look more like neadrathal man then what we look like now... Also if he created adam and eve... Then following logic here would mean they had kids... to help populate this world... well that would mean there was insest right off... and we are all realated to each other in one way or another... Accord to the bible insest is a big NO NO... so i guess from the beginning god intended us to have insest with each other since he only created two people to begin with... This is where i have a problem in the belief system they have... How can someone put so much faith into something that can be proven wrong constantly... this is not just the christian religion im talking about.. Its all of them...

From the mind of an atheist.... Some people you just dont know about... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

“The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult, and left untried.” —G.K. Chesterton

There's a lot of trouble in this world with folks classifying something by assumptions, without taking the time to learn what it is or is all about. I don't think it would be correct to say you feel one way about all religions because of what you assume are the teachings of one.

By no means take this as any defence of catholicism, either. Catholicism and christianity are actually two different things. The bibles are even different.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think the Catlicker church needs to practice what it preaches !!!!!

16. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

The issue with these priests raping boys is intolerable and repulsive to say the least. I think that these people are child molesters that ended up being priest, not priest becoming child molesters. They use this “profession” as an easy outlet to victimize children because they deal with children as part of their job. They gain trust from children and others simply because they are priest. This is what is called a “setup.” I am majoring in criminology and just finished a class that discussed some of these behaviors.

This comes straight from one of the books I had to use:
    “The setup is the pattern of all behaviors that the child
    molester uses to create opportunities to molest children.
    He carefully lays the groundwork to avoid detection and
    disclosure in advance, before he begins
    molesting. He continues to strengthen his elaborate plans
    after molestation has begun by manipulating others, usually
    without their awareness, to make molesting easier. In his
    mind, everyone, adults and children alike are the enemy
    with the power to send him to prison if they catch him and
    reveal his sexual abuse of innocent children. He sets up
    the victim, the victim’s mother, neighbors, relatives,
    professional colleagues, fellow church members.....”
    -Understanding Child Molesters. Eric Leberg, 1997.

I am not familiar with how the Catholic church selects its priest, but it seems to me that they need to have a more extensive screening, profile, background check, or whatever you want to call it, so they don’t keep hiring child molesters for priest! Oh, and in reference to the subject, no I do not believe Jesus was or is gay.

17. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

18. Re: Was Jesus Christ gay?

No, Jesus Christ was "not" gay! Just because some catholic priests can't restrain themselves from the temptations of the world, doesn't mean that all clergy in religions are evil or bad. I used to go to church in the past, but I've come to the conclusion, that my "church" is in the mountains where I love to hunt, fish, ride atvs, or 4x4. Not going to church doesn't mean that a person can't be religious. If you believe in God and live right with good morals and actions, then you're a good christian in God's eyes. Some religions are definitely messed up, and I find my church is in the mountains where I can admire the beauty and solitude of it's scenery and animals.

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You have shown exactly what I ment in my post. See religion has tought that (insert one) religion is the only one and for the most part that you should make everybody believe in your god, their religion is evil and they are going to your god's hell if they don't. Well guess what....EVERY religion teaches the same thing. Now where the problem comes in is how the Document from god Weather it be the bible or what ever the religion calls "their book" is interpitated by it's followers and it's preachers. So now we have religions that say violence in the name of their god is ok. Then we get nut cases flying airplanes into buildings.
    Then there is the problem with the fact that most religions operate as though they are a seperate enity than the anything else even the laws of the state. Hence the Church cover up.
    Now in the churches eyes that's ok (well it was till it was found out by the general population) because they were helping this guy. Turning him over to the authorityis would be condeming him.
    I'm with you. My religion is the same. I off seeing nature for my quality time with "God".

20. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

That is what I've always said. The wife wants me to go to church more with her, but I've found that it's full of people that dont REALLY know what God has created. And a lot of lecture by someone that is educated on the word of God, but who are we to believe them? I think that God is the outdoors, the wilderness, and you find him through your own research, interpretations, and conclusions from it all.

After all, didn't God say that temples should not be built in his honor???

I've actually found a pretty good set of rules in the boy scout law. I think if you can follow these to the best of your ability, then you're a pretty good person in the eyes of both God and the community.