Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

chvey blazer to chevy one ton running gear conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camiswelding, May 25, 2003.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

want to put my 85 K30 1 ton (brand new)running gear in my 81 K5... front bolted right in.. rear is different width and offset... spring perch to spring perch is 45 " in the blazer and 42 1/2" in the one ton.. I know I can move the perches and shock mounts but then it appears rear will be slightly offset.. Is this ok.. I know 1 ton conversions are done all the time.. can anyone help me please???

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

what do you mean itll be offset? as in itll be sticking out farther on one side?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you have a 1 ton truck, steal the spring hangers from it and swap them onto the K5 frame and supposedly the springs will now line up to the rear axle.

4. camiswelding

thanks for the replies...
    a) what I meant by "offset" is that the driveline will not be in on straight line,, the driveshaft will angle a little to the passenger side.. (I looked at my 89 k3500 dually (old style) and it appears to angle slightly as well)
    b) Im not sure the spring hanger swap will work (Ill look at it in the AM)it seems like they would have to be different offsets.. which they are not.. but I do have the donor truck so as I said I will look carefully at your suggestion and let you know
    c) should have been more explicit about what I did.. its a dana 60 in the front.. thats a bolt in.. I thought the 14 bolt would also bolt on but its got an offset whereas the blazer rear has equal length axles and the 14 bolt does not
    K5 is 58 1/2 " backing plate to backing plate and the 14 bolt is only 42 1/2"... and as I said the spring perches and shock mounts are different...
    Hopefully someone out there has done this as I understand this is a common conversion...
    Im an experienced fabricator and my stuff is nice so I want to do it the right way the first time /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif thanks again... cam

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The spring hanger swap thing I'm pretty certain will NOT work. I believe the 1 ton frame is narrower than the 3/4 ton/K5 frame, thats where the difference in spring perch width comes in.

The backing plate to backing plate on your 14b is only 42.5? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Damn...thats a pretty damn narrow 14b. Is it a dually 14b? What is the WMS to WMS? (wheel mounting surface) It should be 67" or 68" if I remember correctly. I don't think I've ever seen a 14b that was that narrow between the backing plates. Center to center on the spring perches should be 42.5" to match your Blazer. The off-set thing I've never seen either. You are saying that the housing isn't centered between the tubes? Is the distance from the housing to the backing plate the same on both sides? This sounds interesting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I rewelded my perches and bolted it in it looks a little offset but it works better than a 10blt /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I rewelded my perches and bolted it in it looks a little offset but it works better than a 10blt /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is indeed, "offset" and you operate your U joints at that kind of angle, you will have terrible vibration. Probably the only solution will be a shaft with cvs at both ends.

8. camiswelding

thanks again for the responses.
    1) the spring hanger swap will not work.. the frame is way narrower.. so the comments about that were right on
    2) It is a narrow rear... but thats because the brakes are massive... 14b rear is out of one of those military chevys...it has the same brakes (width) as my dually.. Ill pull the wheels today and compare hub to hub of both vehicles
    3) Ill fab up new spring perches out of 2 1/2 in 1/4 wall tube...and space them to orig blazer width... guess Ill have to drive it and see if I get any vibs..
    4) What Im doing has been done before by more than one of you all here... let me know if you had driveline bvibrations as was commented on
    Thanks
    cam

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You're right...the spring hanger swap will not work, but its not the fact the 1 ton has a narrower frame. Its just the spring hangers themselves on a K30 that are narrower than the others.

A K10 and 30 both have the same distance from the outside frame rails as the other. Its just the hangers on the 30 are narrow causing the springs to sit inboard further than the 10.

Even if you tried to swap the hangers from a 30 onto a 5, it still wouldnt work because the rear frame on the K5's are all wider than the other trucks. Somewhere around the aft end of the t-case the frame angles outward and therefore the hangers will not work and are also different shapes/contours.

Best bet is to just relocate the perches and mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The 42.5" measurement should be from center of spring perch to center of spring perch on the 14b, which is narrower than the K5. I have a 14b out of a CUCV and my drive shaft is not "offset," but may just appear to be because of the way the 14b is built.

If you are careful, you can cut off the existing spring perches with a rt angle grinder or cut-off wheel and then relocate them and save yourself having to fab new perches, unless you want make them a little taller to compensate for the "saggy butt" that most K5's suffer from.

11. camiswelding

thanks for all the tips. its about time for the plasma cutter....(nice looking truck you have sir)
    anyone UNHAPPY with the 14bolt disc brake conversion to caddy with e brake?

12. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    4) What Im doing has been done before by more than one of you all here... let me know if you had driveline bvibrations as was commented on

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    3) Ill fab up new spring perches out of 2 1/2 in 1/4 wall tube...and space them to orig blazer width... guess Ill have to drive it and see if I get any vibs..

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't have any trouble with vibes. I've relocated two sets of spring perches on 14b's within the last month. I've also driven both trucks, no vibes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    2) It is a narrow rear... but thats because the brakes are massive... 14b rear is out of one of those military chevys...it has the same brakes (width) as my dually.. Ill pull the wheels today and compare hub to hub of both vehicles

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to insult your intelligence, but the only difference between a 1 ton SRW wheel 14b and a 3/4 ton 14b as far as brakes go, is the diameter of the drums. 13" on the 1 ton and 11" on the 3/4 tons. The size of the drums should have no affect on the overall width- Asumming both axles are single rear wheel, non-van width 14b's. Let us know what yu find with your measurements today. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to insult your intelligence, but the only difference between a 1 ton SRW wheel 14b and a 3/4 ton 14b as far as brakes go, is the diameter of the drums. 13" on the 1 ton and 11" on the 3/4 tons. The size of the drums should have no affect on the overall width- Asumming both axles are single rear wheel, non-van width 14b's. Let us know what yu find with your measurements today.

[/ QUOTE ]

And....not to insult your intelligence..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3/4 tons also ran 13" drums. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The thing is, 13" drums came in 2 different sizes on the width of the shoes. 2.5" for the 3/4 ton and 3.5" for the 1 ton.

11" drums were 2.5" wide shoes on the 3/4 tons only. 11" drums were also on the 1/2 tons, but with a narrower shoe.

14. Zeus33rd

Haha! Even as I was typing that, I was thinking to myself....."Hmm, I bet Wes pipes up and proves me wrong.." LOL! Goot $hit Wes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. camiswelding

Re: chevy blazer to chevy one ton running gear conversion

heck.. no one can insult my intelligence ever,, thats why I ask questions.. confucious say smart man asks many times stupid man figures he knows it all...
    now as to measurements and vibes
    yes you are correct.. my measurements confirmed my 14 bolt has big brakes.. one ton version.. it is 54 1/2 inches backing plate to backing plate ( blazer was 58 1/4) I incorrectly gave the measurement in an earlier post as I was actually referring to spring perches (damn alzheimers anyway)
    thanks for the fit up no vibe alert... Ill fab the mounts and reinstall this week,, Im still tweaking the front end and even though it was a bolt in I still had to do some work making braided stainless lines and longer ubolts (truck already had a rancho 4 inch kit in it...)
    hey this thing wont bumpsteer like my k3o dually waiting for the crossover conversion will it???
    Now is everyone happy with their disc brake conversion on the 14 bolt?
    thanks
    cam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif