Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cilindergasket 5.7l TPI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by keevy, Apr 16, 2005.

1. keevy

keevy Registered Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Is it difficult to replace the cilindergaskets of my Chevy K5?
    Any tips and how to's?
    What do I all need to replace, cause I blew up my cilindergaskets (lotsa white smoke out the exaust...and overheating).
    Thanks a lot!!
  2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Feb 21, 2003

I've never done a TPI before but I've done the head gaskets on my carbed 305 and everything other than the electronics would be the same. So assuming you can remember where all the sensors etc go (or just label them) its about a day job. Its pretty lengthy because pretty much everything on the motor has to come off because almost everything is attached to the heads. But, as I said its not hard, just takes some patience. Oh also make sure you know the retorquing sequence and have a good torque wrench. Also, do you know how to adjust lifters cause you will have to do that too.
  3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Mar 5, 2001
    pull intake and valve covers and exh manifolds and then all is left is heads, after engine accessories,

will take a couple days to do it all and have it running again

cleanliness is the number one goal

everything must be cleaned and kept clean during the job

what i do is after cleaning decks of block off i blast out the lifter gallery and cylinders off with air and then wipe out cylinders real good and wipe off decks with alcohol and do same to heads and then put heads on and then drain oil and fill back up through lifter gallery 5 quarts, then put on intake and manifolds and rest of stuff and fire it up

i like to set engine ot #1 firing position TDC before starting to pull apart top end

then drop distrib back in same way and wires 18436572 all way around same deal

then it will fire right up no problem

do this all the time, just did one last weekend and got another one i need to do now, asap.,
  4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jul 18, 2001
    Head gasket? I'd be wishing i still had a carburator at that point..
    Removing all the tpi stuff is going to be the hardest part. then removing the exhaust manifolds/headers, and any accesssories that are bolted to the front of the heads.
    I think all the connectors except for the injectors can only be plugged in their certain sensor, so you shouldn't even really have to label any wires, the harness should fall right back into place where everything needs to hook up.
    Last time i did head gaskets on my k5 i did it in a couple days one day to remove, one day to install.. and i did it all sitting in the engine compartment. :crazy:
    My BBC in my camaro has studs for the heads so if a head ever has to come off, the whole engine comes out. :crazy: