Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CK5.. help me secure my K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82K5_6.5L, Jan 17, 2006.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hey guys.. so last nite some asshat decided he would steal my stereo from in front of my house in my driveway! :mad: needless to say i was pissed. what are u guys doing to keep your **** safe? im going to get a new stereo and i have to somehow secure it, so this wont happen again? any ideas or suggestions?
    btw, the cd player they stole, it doesnt play cd's cuz its broken! hahaha loser asses! :haha:

2. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

thats funny they got a broke one! , i had a alarm on my blazer once but got ride of it. i just got a cd player with a deattachable face.

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a viper keyless entry alarm after losing 3 stereo's and 2 dashes.

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That screw on the back of the deck, with the proper wire/clamps just put a self tapping screw into the floor right under the vent and thats it. Also have one with a removeable faceplace. Just make sure the wire only allows about 1inch of play, so that you can not get pull the deck out.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I had my stereo installed like jekquistk5 mentioned. They didn't manage to steal the deck, but they still ruined it.:mad:

Now I always remove the faceplate. Heck since my truck isn't a DD, I don't know why I even put another stereo in.

I had my truck broken into and the bucket seats, tools, straps, hi-lift, and aftermarket guages were stolen. Now I have everything under a secure false floor in the cargo area of the K5. I even used a thick-ass bicycle cable lock to lock down my PRP seat. I went with mechanical gages installed in a custom bezel so that now that they are installed they can't be removed with ruining the mechanical sending unit tube thingies, that specifically applies to the temp guages. The oil pressure and voltmeter would necessarily be ruined.

Now my only concern is the whole truck being stolen. Since mine not a DD, I'm thinking about sinking some concrete blocks with chains into the ground. Lock down the whole truck.

That may be extreme, but I would like to get one of those column locks. Also be cool to have one of those GPS locators installed on the truck.

The reason I'm paranoid about the entire truck being stolen is because my neighbor had his built Ford stolen. And he even had a hidden kill switch for the electric fuel pump.

6. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

my truck is so ugly. i could have a indash touch screen monitor in it and no one would even look or care

7. natehate

natehate Registered Member

i got broken into the stole my sub woofers but not my amp
    so i bought a tuff centre console and i had plans of strapping the subs down and putting the amp in the centre console with a false floor so i could just throw **** in with out it landing on the amp
    then i realized i dont need a serious system and sold my amp and now i just run two speakers in my dash that are blown
    as for the deck the tuffy console makes a great place to lock my face plate while im out, way better then my pocket

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1) don't install a stereo in your k5.

2) buy a big azz rottweiler. If the dog barks, grab your 12ga and go out to investigate.

j

9. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

buy a tuffy center console and mount your radio in that. by the time they break into that the whole neighborhood would be awake from the noise.

10. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Razor blades epoxied to the back of the stereo. :D Of course you WILL remember them if You have to take the deck out.

11. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I made up one of these and put it in the window when I'm not driving it. :D

security.jpg

12. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha:i like that.

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My truck came with the Silverado package. The dash is designed for an early 80's to early 90's Bose/Delco stereo, which was designed specificly for GM. This stereo only fits two types of vehicles...early 80's to early 90's Cadillacs, Buicks and full size GM trucks. Because of this, nobody wants it.

14. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Make the system invisible. Less to see, less to want to take. I've got my stereo mounted inside my stock console. Added an original factory radio delete plate to the dash. You can't steal what they don't see. As for my speakers, I picked up a really cheap roadmaster speaker box (2 8" subs & 2 4" mid range and 2 small tweeters). $15.99 on sale at Wally World. It sits on the floor in front of my back seat and 90% of the time it's covered by a dirty towel. Ultimately, I plan on getting a large lockable storage box for the cargo area and I will bolt my cheap box inside it. Add some holes facing forward for the sound to come out and I'll be able to leave the top off without worrying about it.

I'd put a lock on the console lid too, but its not to hard to smash it to bits.

The best thing I can think you can do is NOT draw attention to everybody by driving it with the stereo cranked so cars three lanes over can hear it and rattle windows. Having done that with my Nova in College, I realize that I made myself a target. My Nova was broken into and they swiped my EQ, my discman and my radar detector. I was stupid to have them all in plain sight. My toolbox with $500 of tools was on the floor in front of the back seat and they never touched it. The tools were worth more than the crap they swiped. But I always drove into my apartment complex with the tunes cranked and let it be known what I had. Add that to the stuff I had laying out and I was the perfect target.

So, hide what you got and keep the volume down before you get to where you are going and lock it up. Don't make yourself a target.