Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CK5 just saved me about 4 grand

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ducttape114, Jun 1, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

john deere 3 banger diesel just ran away on me. fortunatly, i read the post about runaway diesels a few weeks ago and knew just what to do. i tried stuffing my shirt in the intake tube but it didnt work so i had to pull off the hose(rubber) between the filter and the intake. all this while the motor was stedily gaining momentum. im really exited. like, i just saved a 4 thousand dollor motor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. sorry, just had to share. and thanks everybody who contributed tothe runaway post!!!

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Whoa!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But you were calm under pressure...thats good!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Amen so youl be buying everybody on that post memberships for the year right ????????
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    but seriously DUDE right on !!!!!!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

What were you doing that caused it to just run away like that. Reason I ask is we have John Deere Tractor. 3 Banger Diesel 45HP.

6. ducttape114

offrdk5, i would not call my state of mind clam! i was FREAKING OUT. BTW trying to take off a hose clamp on a sputtering diesel motor with a flat blade screw driver is damn-near impossible.

azzkicker-i really dont know. i was going kind of fast with the idle up pretty high and then i kicked the idel lever to the bottom and shut it off real quickly, usually i let her run at low idel for a few seconds before i shut her off. thats the only thing i can think of. i dont think im ever going to do that again!

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey I am glad you had the nerve to do something about it. Some people just run away.

Yeah, when you have a diesel that has been running hard, never just shut it down.
    You should let it idle and setle down and then shut it down.
    Especially if it's a Turbo.

8. ducttape114

iceman, now ya tell me!! i ussually wait at least 10 seconds before i shut any of our diesel vehicles off, ussually more like a minit if i have time. but i was in a hurry {slaps head}. never again man, never again!!!! the fact that it was my old mans tractor helped give me the courage to stay deal with it. i figured anything a cast iron grenade could do had to be better than what my old man would do if i toasted his motor!!

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    iceman, now ya tell me!! i ussually wait at least 10 seconds before i shut any of our diesel vehicles off, ussually more like a minit if i have time. but i was in a hurry {slaps head}. never again man, never again!!!! the fact that it was my old mans tractor helped give me the courage to stay deal with it. i figured anything a cast iron grenade could do had to be better than what my old man would do if i toasted his motor!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Well yeah I have a Turbo so I have to be extra carefull myself.
    I learned that from old timers on big rigs.
    Plus on the turbo, it's better to wait untill some cooler oil goes and lubricates the turbo bearings and the turbo has time to wind down before you turn it off so it doesn't spin with no oil and get worn out bushings.

By the way how was Pismo? did you make it?
    I couldn't make it, the wiring on my truck fried and the clutch lost a few springs so I am working on ti to prepare for Blazer Fest 26-29.

10. ducttape114

pismo was awsome!!! i borrowed my old mans truck so i couldnt go wheelin' all crazy but it was still fun. i had some issues thou and only got to hang out with my fellow CK5ers for about 10 min /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. still it was a good time. sorry you missed it.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well this is life.
    I am trying hard not to miss Blazer Fest tho. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif