Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CK5 - What's Wrong With It?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I've been hearing a great deal about senior members leaving after the site update. I'd like to hear from the gray beards. What exactly is driving you away from CK5? Is it the site layout or the new arrivals or both?

If it is the site layout what changes would you recommend and would Steve be willing to make changes after such a large overhaul?

ADDY: If it's the new people then what do you suggest?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not a grey beard but I'd say its the new members. Seems in the last year there has been a flood of people with almost zero knowledge and some who don't want to learn(I won't name names).

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Nobody is born an expert. So if members do not like new people, remember everyone has to learn sometime.

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, if you no longer come to the board post-up!!

:crazy:

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i will "dirtclod17" what a PITA, there is other's but he sticks out the most!!
    the funny thing is, i used to be just like that, spouting off like it was the gospel on every thing "i had ever heard some one do before so it must be true." but now i stick to my guns on the stuff i really know, and let the people much smarter than me do most of the talking, like Bad Dog, that dude is wicked smart about this sport, i have learned alot about stuff from him, I will only post in a "tech" thread if im pretty shure what i have to say will help, other wise your just a nusiance and you should just keep your mouth shut and learn!!! took me a long time to swallow my pride and just keep my mouth shut and soak up info, i probally missed out on alot of real good knowlage because of my big mouth, but now i have learned my lesson,(i hope) and im trying to catch up, thats what i came here for.:D

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I've been around for a little while, I'm not going anywhere. I wouldn't consider myself an expert but I do have some knowledge from over 25 years of tearing stuff apart and working on older vehicles mainly GM products.

The software change took a little to get used to but I will take the time to learn it for the advice this site provides. Some might leave because priorities change?

If a member says something that bugs me I either respond or ignore. Steve and the other mods have always been prompt about looking into things and taking care of problems in my opinion.

Some of the members don't like it when posters don't take the time to search before asking a question. I figure they are working on thier rig and things may not be going well so they are frustrated and make a post in hopes of a quick answer.

Bottom line if ya wanna leave do it, if not stick around and have some fun, learn some stuff, and maybe gain a few friends. Don't sweat the small $hit and remember its all small $hit.

My $1.85 (2 cents with adjustments for inflation):crazy:

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I haven't been around much just because I have other stuff going on, first kid being born Sept of last year, 3 hours of commuting per day, work, that kind of stuff. I'll say that I'm not a big fan of the new software and it seems a bit buggy, but it will be fine when I get used to it I'm sure.

I'd like to know the actual site stats though, you're just assuming that traffic is down, there are alot more forums though so maybe people are just more spread out.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Its when you aren't willing to hear the facts vs what you "know". I used to be a lot more like that. I am still bullheaded at times but I will listen when someone proves something to me or someone I know is more knowledgable than me is saying something.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Timmay. :surepal:

11. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

:D

Cant we all just get along?

12. 2Dogs

13. 2Dogs

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well I'm basing my question on actual conversations I read between people. Every few days you'll catch a post with a comment on how people are leaving or a complaint about the new set-up. I'm just curious to know why people would leave, just how big an issue the site upgrade is, or if there is another reason.

There may be no problem at all and I'm reading too much into it.

15. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I didn't join too long ago, but I have never been to active. Just call me anti-social! The transition period was a little difficult, but now I feel back at home again. As far as the useless and aggraveting comments by cerain people, there is noone on my ignore list. I find it rather entertaining!

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, it's pretty simple. For most of us old timers, the Garage is 99% rehash of stuff all ready covered.

People also go off on their different trails.

Myself, I've gotten into online gaming. In about two months, that's going by the waistside as I make a crazy attempt to attend and actually wheel at the foremost most important 4x4 of the year.

Also, I don't know if anyone has the balls to say it, but the Lounge has dried up somewhat. It's mostly a matter of personal taste. A few years ago, this place was rocking and a rolling big time. Now that some of the main players have moved on, what was posted that interest me has pretty much left also.

I personally have no opinion about the new setup; well except the death of the pad club..................... :mad:

Just different personalities and a dire wish for the poster boy for prophylactics to get a ****ing clue and leave..................

:D

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I sold my K5, but I still like too read and reply too a few things here.

18. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've only in my second year on here but I still love it and look in every day if poss. Usually several times a day. Like Bubba says, the garage is often just a re hash of older Q's but it's still usefull to me and I'm still willing to answer any questions that I can. The lounge can be good too...but sometimes I think people need to think before they speak. (me included!!:grin: )

It's still a good site, so VOTE!!! and keep those Furdies at bay!:D

19. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Well, I hate to blow a hole in the great "Software Upgrade" therory, but here are the facts from the man in the know.

Average new user registrations per month with old forum software over the last 3 months: 230

Average new user registrations per month with new forum software over the last 2.5 months: 1,000

The above figures are for all registrations, not just Supporting Members, if that were the case my new hot secratary would be typing this. :blush:

There are always going to be those that refuse to change and do not like change as in the new software changes, I have noticed that some of those will post every few weeks with the same kind of message: Gee, this site sure seems dead "EVER SINCE THE UPGRADE". Most of those are just Members wanting to have people join in on their thinking that the old software was far superior and that a change should not have been made, they want the reply of, hey I think your right, I think I will leave or not post as much now.

Did the old software have a few features that worked better? Sure it did, I have yet to see software that worked great for all web sites or webmasters, but for the most part VB kicks UBBT's virtual ass all over the place. Keep in mind also that the next version will include things that the other software packages either have or don't have. I do know the next version will take advatage of the newer relases of PHP and allow more of a portal setup, as in 3rd party software will be able to write ad-on's much more effectivly which will open up many options not utalized currently.

I read a post yesterday about someone not being able to make a large post because there was a 10,000 character limit, well that was simply a default setting that was easily rasied to 50,000, but the point was I didn't recieve a PM or email letting me know about it, just an implied this software sucks kind of thing. In fact the old software sucked because I had no way of controlling anything, with VB I do. If you would like something added etc. drop me a line and let me know, maybe I can add it, maybe I can't, but just saying this sucks without letting me check into it or at least letting you know why isn't the propper way to handle it, I don't think anyway.

20. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Are there 4 times the number of post as well? i like the new software, but things definitly seem quiet around here.