Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clank and spinning

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Jun 27, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok on my 89 blazer I have a clanking sound coming from the driverside front of the blazer. I usually only hear the clank when I punch the throttle and release the gas, after I release the gas I hear the clank. Although I sometimes hear the clank when taking a turn, so I'm assuming I have something loose up underneath and I've briefly checked all of my steering components and other stuff in that general area, but I really haven't found anything that appears to be loose.

89 K5 Silverado

2. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

have you checked all of your u-joints?

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I gave the drive shaft a quick nudge thinking that would be it, but I didn't notice any play. I don't know why it would clank on a turn though, and also I really don't have any vibration that a worn U-joint will usually give ya.

89 K5 Silverado

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Jack up one side of the front and see if you can 'rock' the tire by grabing the top and the bottom of the tire and push N pull up N down, if you feel a movement even a little then your ball joints are toast and need to be replaced! The stearing Ujoints could also be dry/sloppy.
    Good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

yeah....like burt said....also try greasing everything that is greasable up front....see if that gets rid of any noises. Just to let you know....my ball joints are on their last leg too...but they don't make any noise to speak of.....of course its kinda hard to hear over my broken exhaust...hmm

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm starting to wonder if it might be that... I just got back from lunch and I noticed it felt like there was a little bit of play when I turned a real sharp turn at a low speed.

89 K5 Silverado

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ok this might shound dumb but it was the prob with mine....where my seat bolts down to the floor it was cracked all around it so when i took a corner my seat moved and made a poping noise....i dident figure out what it was till i striped it down to paint it...but i never have had a prob after i had it welded up..prob not it but check anyway
    Chaz

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It's not the seat but thanks for the input anyway.

89 K5 Silverado