Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clark 5spd Tranny?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 22, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

A guy I know just told me he has a 5 speed manual tranny out of a 2 ton or so truck. It has a 2 piece bellhousing. Would this be a Clark 5 speed?

I know Petersons did an article on those trannys a few years ago, but I cant find my copy.

I was going to run a 2wd SM465 and a divorced 205 T-case in my Crew Cab when I start putting it together, but I think a 5spd would be an added bonus without any difficult mods.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well first problem would be that the two ton is 2wd........

so..

youre wanting to put this into a 4x4 right ? thats what it sounds like.

next problem would be bellhousing and linkage setup modifications fabrications

how old is the 2 ton what is it ? chevy 50 or 60 or gmc 65 ?

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Actually that sound like a good set up. You have the wheelbase to handle the divorced 205. There was a very recent post in like the last week about this over at PBB and what thay said is it is possible to get a bellhousing that will work with the GM sb's. They were looking for the Overdrive.
    The clark is quite a lot larger then the 465. Have to reshape the tunnel or a tall body lift.

4. mountainexplorer

I'll be running a divorced 205 T-case, so T-case adapters wont be an issue with this truck.

5. mountainexplorer

He told me he had the bellhousing and clutch and everything for it. I guess it was bolted behind a Chevy tall deck 427. Im not sure what year the truck was. He also told me it wasn't an overdrive and that 5th gear was still 1:1. This is ok with me, since the truck will have 44's and 15" of lift and rarely go in the highway. But It would be nice having more gear selections at lower speeds.

6. axlehack

axlehack Registered Member

i'm rebuilding a NP542 i pulled out of a school bus (and is pretty similar to the clark). heavy as hell, with 7.4? first and 1:1 5th. has a two piece bellhousing (a bellhousing and an adapter plate for the BB 366 it came from) and brake on the output. I too have a divorced 205 I am using...