Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clark transmission interchangability

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert79K5, May 18, 2005.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Quick question....

Can I directly swap a Clark 5 speed in place of my sm465? This is for a 2wd dually tow rig and the clark transmission is a 2wd version also.

Is the bellhousing the same?

anyone running one who would like to share their thoughts/opinions on the tranny?

Thanks

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I may speak for more people than just myself when I ask "What's a Clark?"

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Don't know about interchangability. There was a guy running a conversions bussiness. If you can find that link I think it will answer your question.

Clark's are a medium duty 5 speed truck trans.

4. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

There's an ad in the back of most 4 wheel drive enthusiast magazines (can't remember company name), but they claim to have experience with, and make adaptors for, the Clark medium duty 5 speed tranny. It's a heavy sucker!

5. Robert79K5

So far I have found out that not all clark 5 speeds are overdrive, only the VO series, and that they have a 15 inch case which is sounding like having to get the driveshaft shortened. Still don't know for sure about the bellhousing though.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I am sure they used those transmissions behind 366 and 472 big blocks in med duty trucks and buses, so there is definitely a normal Chevy bellhousing for them.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Check again... they use an adapter to turn the Chevy pattern into a large round pattern. They run a larger flywheel and a bellhousing mounted starter. The input shafts on these Clarks is also very large.

You want a Clark from behind a 350 or 292. These used the same bellhousing as the SM465, and the same sized input shaft. Unlikely you will find the OD version in this format. Doesn't matter though... just compensate with your axle ratio and/or tire size.

8. crzytrckr

crzytrckr Registered Member

Well did you find out what you needed to know? I have a buddy who runs a clark 5 spd in his pulling truck (the kind that hauls a sled down a dirt track). He has exploded a lot of rearends but never the tranny. As I recall Lakewood makes a drag racing approved bell housing for the clark tranny...If you need the info i will look him up and ask.

Rememeber all the problems the dodge crowd was having with tranny's going to pieces behind the cummins? This tranny would have solved all thier problems!

Last edited: May 20, 2005
  9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Saw an old suburban with one factory...

I knew a guy who had a rare 1961 Suburban 1 ton 2wd that had a 235 or 261 straight 6 with a Clark 5 speed tranny factory(it had torsion bars for the front suspension!)...I dont recall if the 235/261 motors used the same bellhousing pattern as the later chevy motors,nor do I remember if it had an "adapter" to bolt the tranny up..its the only truck I've seen to this day smaller than a C60 with a factory Clark 5 speed setup...

.I do know the C60 trucks I've seen with Clark trannys have one..I assume its a one off bellhousing for the Clark only...never seen one in 4x4 factory,though I've seen listings for them in factory parts manuals...GM must have felt the SM465's were overkill enough for a 1 ton or smaller truck... :crazy:

10. Robert79K5

Well this one is in a school bus that supposedly has a small block chevy so I should be good to go in the whole bellhousing department.

My main concern now is that it might be the non overdrive "v" series instead of the overdrive "VO" series like I want.

hopefully they will be pulling the motor this weekend and I can find out what the deal is.

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have no experiences with these trannies so you might want to forget about my post. But, from what I remember, most school busses do not have an overdrive gear.

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status