Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clarke MIG welders?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2Blazer, Mar 11, 2005.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Anybody have any experience with the Clarke brand MIG welders?

I've been pricing out the typical Lincoln, Miller, and Hobart brands but a guy in our club suggested Clarke. After a quick search on the internet I found you can get an 220V, 180 amp model that includes a cart, gas setup, and auto-darkening helmet delivered for under $500. The other brands are all closer to $700 by the time you factor in all of the same components.

I'm planning on going over to the guy's house this weekend and try out his Clarke 180A machine.......but any input would be appreciated.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have a clarke 130E, works great. couldn't be happier for what i paid for it. ive heard the 180 is WAY better. the only thing is its kinda hard to find tips for, but you can get them.

the only issue i had with it is the polarity was set for solid wire and had flux core in it when we bought it, we switched it when we put solid in it (should have left it alone). just make sure its the right polarity

ive welded at full setting (20% duty cycle) for like 4 minutes straight and never had a problem.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a Hobart 135 and it's done everything I have wanted to do with it so far.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

That's great.................how 'bout some opinions on a Clarke welder?

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

if you can try your pals clarke and like it, make your decision on that. you know you cant go wrong with miller, lincoln,esab,or hobart which is i think made by miller. just remember you get wat you pay for,although it does sound like a great deal. i had a lincoln sp 100 worked great, wanted more capicity so i picked up a miller 175 220 amp unit, paid 713.00, very happy with it. we have a lincoln sp 175 plus here at work i use all the time, also a great welder.:)

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Bought my Clarke 130E online.the price is what sold me.Mine is for gass use only.
    Works great for me.No heavy welding here.I have maxed it's duty cycle a few times but I'll just take a 5 min. break and have a cool refreshing beverage.

I started useing a small fan.Put it up against the finns on the side of the welder.I haven't maxed it out since.

As far as tips and consumables go the gun is made by lincoln so all those consumables will fit the Clarke gun.:thumb:

I'd say one drawback of the Clarke is it's only a 6ft gun/hose assembly

This is the only pic I have.You can see the bottle under the welder.
    [​IMG]

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The case look remarkably like a Lincoln too...I wonder how they'd compare side by side.

Rene

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

your right , it does. i bet they are just a different color shell.
    i heard from my welding instructor that hobartwent out of business and sold their patents to thermal dynamics. for that reason i dont think i'd buy one. i say lincoln,esab, or miller is the way to go. if clark is made by lincoln, then sounds like that would be a good choice too for a home outfit.
    i personally want to get a lincoln 135+. thats what we use at school and i really like them.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I paid less than $300 for my welder, shipped to my door, online too. I meant to add that.....

Hobart = Miller. My welder even has a Miller gun......15' long too, not 6'. I'd imagine that'd be terrible for stuff like a roll cage.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If the machine is small enough the short whip length isn't that big a deal. My little home welder is easy enough to move wherever i need inside the truck. I'm guessing it's a 6 foot lead, but I'd have to double check.

All the ones at work are 15 foot...

Rene

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Where did you score that deal? I'm in the market for the same welder so any advice would be appreciated.

12. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
  13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I tried the 180 amp Clarke out this weekend. I'm a fairly novice welder but thought the Clarke did just fine (I've used various Lincoln, Millers, etc...in the past). On full stun it got decent penetration on 3/8" plate and I laid about 30" worth of bead in a short period of time with no problem.

The guy who owns it has been welding for a long period of time and always used the more expensive brands. The price is what got him to buy the Clarke for his home shop. He still likes the Miller or Lincoln a little better but for the price he says you can't beat the Clarke.

The gun trigger feels a little different, not necessarily bad, just different. The 6' leads are slightly annoying as I'm used to 10'.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have been using a Clarke MIG 110V turbo weld for about 10 years It still works like new. The only parts I have bought for it are tips and some parts needed for the gun from normal wear and tear. I would buy another if this one ever wore out. They are a good welder for the price.
    The only thing I dont like about it is the short hose. But having it on a cart helps and it is not realy that big of an issue.
    I have a Lincoln SP135T at work. It works about the same as my old Clarke at home. Cept it has a longer hose and cost a lot more.

15. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I have a Clarke 130 EN and love it. Bought the inert gas for it and it works well. On that note does anyone know where to get a longerhose, for it. That's the only thing I would change on it.