Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Class 3 hitch?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '72brett, Apr 4, 2003.

1. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

What are my options on a '72 for a class 3 hitch. I've checked around and it seems that no one makes them... what have you guys done?

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

The guy who runs http://blazerworld.net/ had a custom hitch made at http://www.torklift.com/ in Kent, WA. There are photos of it on his site. He had them add a skid plate between the rails to protect the gas tank. Very nice looking and functional.

I have also seen hitches listed for 1st gens in JCWhittney.

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

When I had a flatbed put on my 69 they installed a Class 3/4 hitch made by Redline that fits just fine. When you call the company's just have your frame width measurements as it seems most companies are clueless about the 67-72 Chevy's. Many of the newer products do work on our stuff.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's what I did.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a lot of "little things" that I've never seen a solution for. As far as I know, nobody has ever offered a decent way to relocate the bumpers on a truck that's had a body lift added...so I designed this hitch to allow the bumper to sit correctly with 1", 2" and 3" body lifts. As you can see from the pics, it looks perfect even though my truck has a 2" body lift on it.

Also, I wanted to get rid of the convetional trailer hitch as a "boat anchor" off the back of my truck. Trailer hitches are notorious for getting bashed on rocks and then causing damage to the rear of the frame. This hitch sits BETWEEN the framerails, so it's never going to get dragged on the rocks when I wheel.

Lastly, on these old trucks....sometimes the frame as already had a few "accidents" on it, and the rear frame can be pretty badly messed up. I designed this one to sandwich the frame between the 1/4 thick ORD Shackle Flip brackets and the 1/4" thick side plates of the hitch itself. The result is that the entire rear frame area now has roughly 5/8" of steel to straighten out the rear spring hangers and reinforce my frame which had some minor "tweaks" in it.

Anyway, I'm really happy with how it came out. Now I use a "receiver style" license plate holder for the street, but I can swap in a receiver hitch, recovery point, or even hitch-mounted winch...... I like the fact that it's totally hidden, and gives me monstrous amounts of extra departure angle clearance.

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Dammit Greg, if you keep putting up pictures like that I'll be sending my K5 to your place! Ever considered a career switch to full-time K5 restoration/fabrication! I'm drooling - my hitch from the previous owner looks like a piece of scrap metal in comparison, but I'm trying to tie it in to the MOO bumper-tire carrier to hide the ugliness.

6. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

i've seen people fab them, modify hitches for other trucks, and build them in on a fab bumper. I think I'll weld a bumper receiver on the bottom of my step bumper and then weld some channel onto the bumper interior/bolt it onto the frame for additional strength. Still thinking about it, though.

7. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

This company makes a hidden receiver hitch for the early blazer/subs. web page
    Marc

8. Big Sean E

Big Sean E Registered Member

I had Uhaul install my Class III hitch, and it didn't interfere when I had the truck lifted. They'll do everything, and the job looks pretty clean. By the way, Greg72, I love that truck! I gotta go get me one of those new fangled diff covers! Looks sweet!

9. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Very, Very nice Greg. Thanks for the idea.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Do you tow anything with your hitch being mounted between the frame rails? I've been thinking about doing that with my hitch on my burb, but I wouldn't think the frame would be strong enough to support the weight of a trailer in that location.

11. Greg72

Don't thank me yet!......The idea is the simple part, actually BUILDING what you see there is a lot of work!

That hitch follows my personal philosophy of trying to come up with solutions that are elegant and simple in appearance. The reality is that there is a significant amount of "stuff" that has to be solved to make it look so simple.

It was a fun project though, and it's tremendously rewarding when I get to show it to people...and knowing that I built it myself.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Greg72

Jeff,

I just got that hitch completed, and don't own a trailer anyway.....but I guarantee it will hold up to anything!

It's not obvious from the photos, but the hitch is made up of a HUGE piece of box tubing which is plated on each end by a long piece of 1/4" thick x 3.5" tall steel plate. It extends way into the inner frame channel (acutally goes beyond the rear spring hangers) and sandwiches the frame from the outside with the ORD shackle brackets (which are also 1/4" thick!)

There is a LOT of metal in that area, and the "load" is spread out over a massive section of the rear frame. If a conventional Class III hitch mount is adequate, then THIS setup is ultra-adequate!!!!

Of course, if you help me find an early 'Burban....I'll be building ANOTHER one of these!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I was just curious, cause i've got a standard (store bought - don't know the brand off the top of my head) class III hitch. Maybe a little mod to it will safice(sp?) in what i want to accomplish /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Well, I checked JC whitney.. they don't have them. But from what I read. I will find on off of a truck and do some welding. All the hitch will be used for is pulling a trailer and my friend's race car about 100 miles a week.