Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Class Action Lawsuits?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Sep 17, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

From the best I can tell, class action lawsuits are a legal scam. Sure, in some cases they may have been a good thing, but in the other 99.9999+% they are nothing but a scam for some lawyer to extort big $$$ from large companies while exploiting my name. I may get a check for $2.32 while the lawyer gets $232 million.

Maybe I simply don't understand how a class action lawsuit works? So, let me ask a few questions. The way I understand it is that a lawyer files a class action lawsuit and sends letters to all who may be involved. Everyone is considered "in" unless they write back to the lawyer to get "out". What about the people who have moved several years ago and never get their letters? They have no option to get "out", and obviously they won't get their check. So... what happens to all of the unclaimed money because people move and never get their checks? Does the lawyer get it?

It pi$$es me off that some jack off can use my name to get rich! :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The legal fees are set by the court. There is a pool of $$ that is divided pro rata among everyone who submits a claim. Yes the fees are high, but the courts limit them somewhat. Yes, some people get left out, but there are normally ads that are targeted to reach the entire class, again the court oversees those. It ain't a good system, but it's the best we have come up with. If not fo calss actions, normal people would get nothing most of the time because they would each have to hire their own lawyer (like the opt-out folks do) and the courts would be more jammed than they already are.

3. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Class action suits have a real purpose in life...especially if the companies being sued are walking an imaginary line of legality that the rest of us know they crossed a long time ago. If the plaintiffs attorney does their job it really can be like a hollywood movie. Heres a link for a group doing class action suits in a non profit trade group.

www.ooida.com/legal_action/court_cases2.html
    George

4. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

Years ago I was the recipient of a class action law suit settlement. Somtimes stupidity does pay off. I had gotten myself engaged. Me and the wifey too be decided she needed a new car, because the one she was driving was a POS. Well we decided on leasing a new Jetta. Well as things usually go in my life we broke off our engagment and went our seperate ways, she got the car :doah:

A year after we broke up I starting getting calls from a collection agency. After about 5 months of these calls at all hours of the day I finally tried wheeling and dealing with the collection agency. They had sold the car after repoing it and the balance left over was like $4,600. Now there was no way I was gonna give them that much so after a few FU's and me hanging up on the collection agency asswipe, I settled on $3,000 and a faxed letter stating I had settled in full and that no action would find its way to my credit report. The collection agency would go after the ex for the balance.

OK here's were the class action suit comes in. Seems VW credit had been using fraudulent pratices on debt collections. Somebody started a class action suit against VW credit. A year after I settled I got a check from VW credit for the sum of $4600. Made $1600 on the deal and not a bad mark on my credit report :D Cannot say the same for the ex. Her's shows a repo :D :D