Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Class III hitch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 21, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Advanced Auto's site says 5000lb trailer weight with Class III hitch. Doesn't sound right to me. Don't think I've ever had anything more than a Class III and definetally towed some big trailer loads. Think I'll be fine towing the S10 and trailer with a Class III? I would price shop for a Class IV but I need this hitch by Wednesday afternoon so Advanced is the only place I can go.

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

5,000 to 5,500 is correct for a class 3, and in some cases, it can be more with an equalizer.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

5K is about right, can find some that will do 6000 pounds. Unless you spring for a wieght distribution hitch. I once towed a 4x4 extracab S-10 with a 2 wheel drive Ranger sporting a 3.0 V-6 using the bumper mount. Sometimes you do what you gotta do!! It actually did a decent job.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

We all know that ratings are fake. Just use the 5,000 pounds as a starting point.

I have towed way more than 5,000 pounds on my class III hitch, so I think you'll be fine hauling your S10.

;)

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oh I know, I've towed way more then 7500lbs with my K5 with a class III hitch before. That was just a matter of how far we had to go ;) Think I will go pick up the Class III at Advanced cause at the moment i doesn't look like I can get a Class IV by this weekend(damn holiday).

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Whats the price for it?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

$110 for the Class III. $170 for a Class IV but they couldn't get it until next week and I need this for Sunday

I could get a Class IV on Ebay for $100 but it owuldn't be here until next week. Should have ordered one weeks ago :doah:

8. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

I agree the hitch can handle more than it is rated for. Just ensure you get as large a shank ball as will fit. I have seen some pretty whimpy ones out there.

I am not a big fan of using a bushing to take up the extra space around the shank.

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I also think the weight rating of the vehicle may have something to do with it. For instance the class 3 hitch on my K5 says 3k without wd hitch and 6k with. Where the class 3 hitch for my F350 C&C says 7k without and 10k with a wd hitch.