Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clatter after shut off....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balzer, Aug 21, 2000.

1. balzer

balzer Registered Member

i just started driving my 83 jimmy and have been driving it for about a week and today when i shut-off the engine it clattered for about a second or two. what is this from.
    it is a 305 and is all stock.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Clattered? As in, did it try to keep running? Or did something in the engine compartment actually clatter, like steel against steel? Give us more info, bro!

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

This is called "dieseling" and its usually caused from carbon build up that starts to glow red hot. Even though you shut off the ignition, the carbon ignites the fuel similar to a glow plug on a diesel engine. Low octane fuel and advanced timing can attribute to this. Usually just by retarding the timing a little, it will stop. Higher octane fuel may also help. Another solution is to remove the carbon. This is done by running some ATF through your carb. It will smoke alot but should get rid of the carbon build up.

If I'm wrong on any of this, please correct me. This is what I was told a long time ago.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

4. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

That sounds all rite to me. Thats what I heard and also mravels mystery oil works, but i never heard about the timing thing.

JD
    88 Gmc Jimmy

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Sounds right to me too. Could also be that idle speed is too high or overly rich mixture. Would try the gas first.