Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clayton, OK Closing down?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Javier Gras, Sep 27, 2000.

1. Javier Gras

Javier Gras Registered Member

It seems they are going to close down the trails around Clayton, OK. The timber company that owns the area is going to sell the land. Check out fwd-fwd webpage for more info as the week progresses. To those planning rides there, you better check up on it.
    Remember there is still a couple of areas in OK (Poteau and Disney) to wheel.
    Boy, it keeps getting harder and harder to wheel.

Following is a couple of messages from the tx4x4 list with info on it.

Good luck

Javier
    ----------------
    From tx4x4,
    >..., anybody else going to Clayton this weekend or in October for the
    Oktober Trailfest/SWFWDA Fall Quarterly (hosted by FWD-FWD). I'd check with
    the hosts before making that drive. It has been confirmed that all the main
    trails (near the charcoal plant sections and off Wildwood Acres) have been
    closed to all recreation by the owners, Georgia Pacific. They are looking to
    sell that section of 4000 acres and have plans underway to do an
    environmental impact study on the area (common practice before a large
    timber area land sale). They were very unaware of the quality and quantity
    of four wheeling going on in the area. The area manager (I think his name is
    Curtis something) ordered the main road from the now closed charcoal plant
    to be bar ditched to help deter access. Rumor had it that the guy who runs
    the Indian Mounds campground dug those ditches, but he did not. It was
    handled by Georgia Pacific. The trails affected in that area included
    everything except Survey Line and BusLine way out in the Honobia Creek
    Wildlife Management Area (which is Hancock owned property). Georgia Pacific
    has offered to sell the land to Hancock, but they don't seem to have
    interest. It looks like our only real hope to keep this land open, is to
    purchase it for well over 1 million dollars. Perhaps somebody can talk the
    local town into a joint venture or something, but I doubt they can work with
    that kind of debt. As big as FWD-FWD is, we don't have anywhere near that
    kind of money. Maybe the state of Oklahoma, or the local county (Pushmataha)
    would be interested in an OHV park.

If this were Texas, the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition (TMTC at
    www.texasmotorizedtrails.com) would jump at the chance to secure federal
    funds to secure this land. However, I don't know if Oklahoma's mutli-use
    groups are as organized. I know the group exists, I just don't remember
    seeing anything from them since a meeting in Oklahoma City about this time
    last year.

Lance Morin
    Ft. Worth - Dallas Four Wheel Drive (FWD-FWD)

FWD-FWD is committed to having the meeting. Right now the schedule remains
    the same. A final decision will be held by COB Friday. Expect the FWD-FWD
    website to be updated by the weekend. If it is not in Clayton, it will be
    in Gilmer. If you put a correct phone number on your registration, you will
    be notified via phone of the change.

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about his. I have a buddy in the Oklahoma Trailchasers that was really PO'd about this closing. GP owns a lot of land in eastern Oklahoma and they are pretty powerful politically here. I'm from Florida originally and have my own theory about most of the Oklahoma politics. Have dealt with a lot of land and hunting issues here in this state and it seems that if your name ends with a certain "set" of last names, then things will get done your way and not the way of the general population. But that's a whole other story. All we can do is make our voices heard and get out and vote.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Lt I've contacted Greg on the November run to same, to see if its the same area, let me know if you hear anything and I'll forward it to Greg....WK..Ps see you Friday evening

5. White Knight

Hmmm it would seem that FWD-FWD is spreading some false info, I have a friend who just contacted the Owner of Indian Mound Horse Camp (Jesse Johnson), and his statement was that the trails where closed because FWD-FWD abused the trails, and leaving loads of trash, Now if we can dig through all the crap and find out really what is happening!!![​IMG]
    Damn this really pisses me off, we had a run scheduled for the First of November. I hope that it is political and that DFW-FWD did not do what was reported by Mr Johnson and if they did, I hope all their rigs die prematurely and they can't find anyone to let them on they land[​IMG]They don't deserve to off-road if the aligations are correct!!

White Knight

PS LT we are working on something else I'll let you know when I know!!!

<font color=red>Well I got a response from FWD-FWD and it basically said because I have no affiliation and did not sign my email with a name that a reply was not in order, and that they would past the info on to a officer of the club, now I do belong to two off-road clubs but didn't see the use in putting that in a letter, and I would guess that no reply is as good as a guilty as charged plea, I mean if some dude accused my club of abusing the trails and leaving trash behind I'd set him straight in a heart-beat, ilregardless of fact that I wasn't a officer of the club, you're still a member!!!!!</font color=red>

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hey Knight, I also heard the same thing. From Mr.Johnson, I was also told that some of the guys from FWD-FWD were cutting a new trail in a section of newly planted trees by the lumber company. It is my understanding that they plant trees in areas that they have cut them down and that they cut down quite a few of them. I dont know, Like I said, just what I heard. I am sick to hear about this. I was just up at Clayton last month, you can pics on my web page, And I was planning on going back soon. I have wheeled there for years and have always had a blast. WE MUST start taking better care of our land and help teach others to do the same. We will see what happens, See ya later. HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

7. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I post issues in the land use section of this board a lot that are related to public land, the fight against private land is an entirely different animal. I feel that the only way we as a 4x4 society can get access to private property is to go to the owners as responsible clubs, sign waivers that if we tear our rigs up on their property, or hurt ourselves or kill ourselves on their property then they as a corporation won't be held liable. then have them check out a key to the properties that we would like to use the week before an outing.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

8. White Knight

Well I received a reply from FWD-FWD, rather lengthy and scathing, It would appear the Mr Johnson may have a beef with FWD-FWD and that may be the reason for the riff between Him and FWD-FWD, Lance M has assured me that he and the FWD-FWD have been responsible and are well liked by the Clayton community, and that they haven't damaged any trails or left trash behind.
    I suppose that now we need to find out why Mr Johnson would make a statement such that he did.
    I will reply a letter to Lance M indicating that, the info I got was accurate as stated but false according to FWD-FWD.

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>

<font color=red> well now it seems that Mr. Lance has gone on the offensive and now I'm the bad guy and responsible for closings in the Arlington area, BTW I've never even wheeled in Arlington..I guess after this last go around it would seem that FWD-FWD cannot respond maturely and accurately to the aligations and I've blocked all messages from them, so if anybody hears anything and can clear this up let me know!!! WK</font color=red>[​IMG]