Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clayton OK Memorial weekend

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by Larry_in_Tx, May 9, 2005.

1. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

…anyone heading that way? There are a few of us from Houston making the trip and instead of trolling around looking fro CK5 stickers I figure I’d see who was going. :ears:

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Go to Katemcy instead. Thats where most everyone I know will be. Wheeling is better, cheaper, and you can go where ever you want without the hassle of a "trail ride". If youre coming from Houston, it would be a lot closer drive too.

That being said, I have had a lot of good times in Clayton, I just dont like going there on Memorial Weekend. Too many idiots and I dont like paying some club to wheel on land I can wheel on year round for free or close to it.

3. Larry_in_Tx

Good point on the distance and you’re exactly right about the price. Without looking again I think it was about $120 for late registration. :yikes:
    I think it’s too late for us to change plans even though it makes more since to wheel Katemcy.

You say there’s too many idiots out there, what am I getting myself into? I don’t want to rive all the way up there and be stuck in what I’m dreaming up in my head right now.

4. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I will guarantee you will have fun...there are some good trails up there. I would concentrate more on the Green Acres area behind Slim's shop. It has the best trails and they are VERY close to town.

My $.02:
    I generally dont care for the atmosphere Memorial Day. When I wheel, I dont like traveling in a large group of diverse rigs. There will be a lot of capable rigs there with less experienced drivers that poke along very slowly on the trail, holding the entire group up. Be careful of what group you jump in with. I like to wheel a lot of hard trails and haul ass between trails, you wont find that Memorial Day. There will be a lot of people there, so prepare yourself to take everything slow. I would think of it more on a EJS scale, i.e. a lot of people invading a small town. Of course, it will be no where near the magnitude EJS.

I have always kind of thought their trail rating system to be over rated. Even back in the day when I ran 35's, I was capable of running nearly all of the trails regardless of rating. Some of the new trails are a little more difficult though. Clayton does have the potential to take its toll on rigs though.

One of the coolest things about Clayton is the potential for night wheeling. We generally wheel all day and up until about 2-3 AM at night. Considering that most of the trails are close to town, it is highly feasible to do this.

There is also very much of a "Jeep thing" aura. If you drive a fullsize, toyota, buggy, etc. you wont be one of the cool kids. I remember when I went up there several moons ago in my K5, I was told to stay on the 3 trails by one of the officials because I had a full size.

There for sure will be some cool peeps up there, but the douche bags will far out weigh them. Pick your group well, keep to yourself, and carry a large cooler and you will have a great time.

Check out the link below for some pics of our trip a few weeks ago.

Clayton Pics

5. Larry_in_Tx

Thanks for the heads up. I’m sure it’ll be fun but if it gets too slow I’ll be ready to make the drive back to Houston real quick. I’m not one for big crowds so you can guess I was a little leery when the trip was planned.

Oh well, at the very least I’ll get to bang around on the trails a little bit and I needed a new excuse to drink a beer in OK again anyway…man that’s a long drive to hang out at camp and drink beer.:screwy: