Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clean fuel injectors? UPDATED

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90K5, Dec 24, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Is is possible to clean them? Mine drip instead of spray...thanks

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Re: Clean fuel injectors?

You can send them here - $10 apiece and he cleans and flow matches them ---------> Cruzin Performance

Very good rep on thirdgen.org /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

can I take them out and shake them out, maybe spray some carb cleaner in them? I'm looking to do this on the cheap.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You could try to put some fuel injection cleaner into the gas and see if that works.

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Nah you can't do much to them, they're not servicable at all. Try running a bottle of high quality fuel injector cleaner through the truck and see if it helps, and change your fuel filter. You can take the injectors out of the throttle body and check the ring filters on them to see if they're clogged too. Most likely there's fuel additive residue built up on the needle and valve seat inside the injector thats messing up the spray pattern. A bottle of cleaner in the gas tank the next couple times you fill up should help it.

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'm assuming you're talking about port injectors (as opposed to throttle body injectors). Yes they can be cleaned. I bought a kit from Summit a few years back that used srew-on areosol cans (3M or NAPA fuel cleaner). The kit was pretty simple with a pressure guage and a schrader fitting for the fuel rail. I bought the optional adapter kit for F*rds and imports. A far cry from the $500+ professional cleaning kits; I think it cost me $30 plus $12 a can. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If Summit doesn't deal in them anymore, NAPA has a catalogue of all their FI components.

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I just meant you can't actually take the injectors apart to clean them. Like you said, the cleaning kits that run solvent through them do work, well most of the time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif When I was working at Bosch last year we tested a bunch of the "off the shelf" fuel system cleaners that you put in your gas tank, just cause we were curious to see if they really worked. Only about half of them actually did anything! We didn't test any of the kits like your talking about just cause they didn't feel like spending the money on them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You could have Rich at Cruzin' do both for $20 if you have another ride to drive a few days...........they turn them around very fast.

9. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Try some 44k from BG (available at autozone or NAPA around here). Almost $20 for the can, but worth it.

I put it in my car with about 100k on it (MPFI) and it seriously woke it up after about 1/2 tank. You could tell the difference.

They get the price because it works. I am sold.

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

How much are new ones?

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

"Cheap" brand are around $65 each and "Premium" ones are around $120 each, some places sell them a bit cheaper than others but those are average prices. (at least thats what I saw most places when I replaced mine last month) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Damn...sending mine to that place doesn't sound bad now

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Talked to Rich at Cruzin, he said he's really busy and has to reformat his flow bench to test and clean TBI injectors, so I'm thinking of going to a junkyard and picking up a few, hopefully will get some that work. Will any V8 injector work or does it need to be off a truck 350?

15. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

It would have to be off a LO5 TBI 350. The other injectors are either bigger or smaller depending on application.

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I picked up some Royal Purple fuel injector cleaner, and they are doing a lot better now. Might put another bottle in there in a week or so and see how it goes.