Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clean my lift up or buy a new one? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Nov 20, 2006.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

I bought a 1976 K5 blazer not long ago that I am wanting to restore, it has a 4" lift on it that looks a little "wore", but I know nothing about lifts so I don't know what to look for.. ???

Is there a way to figure out what brand lift is on my truck? How do I figure out if its worth "cleaning up" or not? I can and will take pictures if that will help distinguish its quality? Just tell me what areas to take pictures of and Ill run out and take them.

If I can save a little money by just cleaning it up and maybe replacing a few things im all for it. I just need help figuring out if its worth it or not, if its not Ill buy a new one :confused: :confused: :confused: Please help.

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

check the bushings. take some pics and we'll see what you got. are there any part numbers on it? what color are the shock boots? they sell after market boots, but each company has distinct colors so that could help narrow down what you got.

3. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

I will take pictures and post them up tomorrow

Thanks

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont think the color of shock boots will help. Every lift kit I have ever orderd that included shocks gave me a choice of colors for shock boots. Usually red, Black or Blue
    It is pretty hard to tell what brand of lift you have by looking at it. Part # are usually painted on and wear off fast.
    As said tho check the bushings for wear and cracks. If your springs aint sagging they are prolly ok.
    If everything looks OK. Maby buy some new nitrogen charged shocks and you will be good to go.

5. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Im pretty sure the bushings are shot but the guy gave me a pakage that looks like new bushings. ill take a picture of that too so you can maybe give me some info on that too. Are those hard to install?

See, I dont know if the springs are sagging or not, I dont know what arch they should have. I will take pictures of everything so you guys can kinda help me out.