Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clean sounding system?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by wheelin72, Dec 12, 2002.

1. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

Hey
    Im looking into a getting a stereo setup for my daily driver. Im looking for something that will sound very clean for rock and country. Something that will scream but still sounds clean and has some good bass. Some people have told me to maybe go with a few 8's for subs and some good speaker.
    What about just some midbass speaker and some high qaulity speakers.
    I like to spend as least money as i possible can. Maybe by buying used or going with leftover from last year.
    Any suggestions would be great
    thanks
    Ryan

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd say start with a good quality headunit, and some decent speakers. You can add amps and subs in the future. You might wanta contact BozoWise (he runs a car stereo shop) and see if he has any clearence items he could hook you up with. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ryan,

High Quality/high Performance/Low Price...... generally speaking it's hard to get all three! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If you're serious about the sound quality and power (which from your message seems to be more important to you than the price) you can do what most people do and build it in stages.

#1. Get the best quality head unit you can afford. It's the heart of the whole system, so don't cut corners and try to go cheap. Get a deck with at least 4V outputs so that you can cleanly drive amps without distortion. It will save you a ton of headaches later (alternator whine, high noise floor, etc)

What year is your K5? If it's a 72(?) you'd better think twice about using 8's....that's not going to be much of a speaker once the top comes off in the summer. I've got two ported 10's in mine, and I sometimes wish I had more (or bigger) speakers for the bass.

Professional installation is worth a lot too.....modest equipment that is installed WELL will always sound better than the best quality equipment installed improperly. Find someone you trust to get everything right....and to do the final tuning.