Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cleaning a PC

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rob 85K5, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have to turn in my old work Comp with XP and need to clean a action that comes up when I right click on the Start button. Also any hidden areas to clean??

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

to be real safe, just renistall xp!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

fdisk, then format. Unless there's data they need to recover from it, they shouldn't mind you wiping it. I know I'd love it if I got back laptops from employees pre-wiped...

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Fdisk and format don't "erase" the data on the disk. Any disk utility, such as Norton, can easily recover the entire disk after such a process. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif If you have stuff on there that you REALLY don't want anyone else to see, then you need to run a utility that overwrites ALL areas of the disk. Norton WipeDisk, or a similar utility will make sure that no one short of the CIA can read the data on the disk later. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

A good scrubbing with soap and water using a stiff nylon-bristled brush should do the trick. I gaurantee that nobody will ever get any data off of it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It depends on how locked down your computer is. If the network administrators at your company are concerned with network security, then you will not have sufficient rights to do anything about cleaning up Temporary Internet files or the Cookie files left after somebody cruises the Internet, which is what most people are trying to hide. You will not be able to wipe out the hard drive either if the computer is locked down because the BIOS has been set not to boot from anything but the hard drive, and you will not be able to change anything in the BIOS because it will be password protected

Now if you do have sufficient rights to delete Temporary Internet files or the Cookie files, and you are not up to the task of reformatting the hard drive, then one place you want to go to get rid of Temporary Internet files is a file called Content.IE5. To find it...

Right click My Computer> click Explore> click local disk C: (or what ever your hard drive is called) > click Documents and Settings> click whatever user profile you log in as> click Local Settings> click Temporary Internet Files> click Content.IE5.

The folder Content.IE5 is a little known folder by the average user that most of the time, but not always, cannot be cleaned by any software utility. Microsoft protects this temporary Internet file from most utilities, and is usually the first file the FBI looks into when doing a search and seizure on some purps computer. There will be a bunch of randomly named folders located within Content.IE5, and you will have to delete them manually, but do not delete the file Content.IE5 itself because it is a system file.

When you have Explore expanded to Temporary Internet Files, you should also see a folder named Cookies. Delete all these files in this folder too except a file called Index.dat. You should also see a folder named History. You can delete these files too.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Get a utility that writes zeroes to the drive

8. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have done that already. There is basically a short-cut to an old game that I am trying to get rid of. When I right click on start, it is on that menu.

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It's been raining cats & dogs every days for weeks, it would be horrible if you were to "accidentally" drop the comp in a bucket of... I mean puddle. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Like the above has said... go through and clean out the cookies, links and files you dont want on the computer when you turn it in. Then go here and download the program called eraser 5.7, install and run the cleanup in clank area (I think thats what is called, it should take about 2-4hours depending ont he size of the drive). Anyhow it writes and over writes each bit on the disk 32 times (almost enough to keep the DoD from recovering info /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif).

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A good scrubbing with soap and water using a stiff nylon-bristled brush should do the trick. I gaurantee that nobody will ever get any data off of it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a good magnet /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif