Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning a salvage title?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I am looking at a out of state truck with a salvage title. It has been repaired to my satisfaction. I was told that after regestering in my state I can "clean" my title. Any thoughts?

2. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Well it is illegal to "clean" a title. Once it is totaled, it has to remain so. If it is for your personal driver or off-roader, why bother? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. Zebra

Zebra Registered Member

I agree. To do so would be illegal. That said, such an act unfotunately occurs quite often by unscrupulous individuals who want to resell the vehicle as a regular used vehicl and make big $$$ in doing so.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just for the record, my biggest problem with vehicles that have a salvage title is the fact that you can never get more from your insurance for it than it was bought back from after it was totalled. For example, you total your truck, buy it back for $1000, dump $10k into it to build it up then it gets stolen, the most that the insurance company legally has to pay is $1000. That would be a problem for me... </font color>

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it varies greatly from state to state, in IL you can salveage a title and have it rebuilt by taking the vehicle to a rebuilder(inspector) and they go over the vehicle and make sure it is fit to operate and the state will then permantly stamp/brand the title 'rebuilt'

the same goes for flood damaged recovered vehicles, they wil be forever branded 'flood' directly on any title issued to it forever on

when a vehicle is junked/sold or given to salveage yard or scrap yard then the title is sent in for junk and you will get a junking certificate which is green title instead of purple and it is then forever junk and never legal to be operated on a public road again ever and is 100% un-registerable for such use.
    junk fee is free and salveage fee is 5 bucks these days and inspection to rebuild is i think 70 or 75 bucks, i forgot now.

title transfer went from 13 to 65
    plates/sticker for anything under 8,000 GVW went from 48 to 78 a year, the new design plates are free when re replacing you current old plates that havent ever changed design since the late '70;s in IL
    and tax is 25 bucks on anything under a certain value, a few thousand bucks

6. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

It's not necessarily true about only getting $1000 even if you have $10k in it. Maybe in your state but not in most. The insurance company owes what the truck is worth. They owe the ACV (actual cash value) or market value. But, even if you have $10k in it...it may not be worth $10k.