Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning axles for paint...need some tips!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Apr 16, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Ok I am prepping a 14 bolt and d44 for paint. So far I have used 3/4 of a bottle of b-52 and wire brushed the 14 bolt. It took almost an hour to just do the carrier /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Just wondering how everyone else did this. It's gonna take me longer to clean and paint these than it is to swap out the axles /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

easy off oven cleaner and a pressure washer /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

sand blast it! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Angle grinder with twisted-wire cup brush...Took ALL the crap off my D60 pretty quick

Chris

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The last set of axles that I bought went to the high pressure car wash while they were still on the trailer that I was bringing them home with. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I sprayed 'em down with Gunk engine cleaner and then blasted off the years of grease and grime. Took maybe 15 minutes and cost about $4. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jacked_86chevyk10

jacked_86chevyk10 Registered Member

greased lightening then wash with heated pressure washer then go back with purple power stuff (sold at advance auto) and spray and let sit for bout 5 min and pressure wash it again- KMART has the best flat black spray paint ive ever used...88 cents a can...u can afford to put a couple of good coats on it....trust me, it looks sweet with clean painted axles!!!!! hope i helped

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

That sounds like some good tips, I got a wire cup brush for my angle grinder and am going to go to town on them this morning. As for paint I already bought Krylon Rustoleum. I got it on sale in "Pink"! Do you think the axles will look sweet or what?/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Just kidding, I got black /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif How clean do these have to be to paint. Can I just get all the grime off then paint or should I get the rust off too. I don't think I have enough time for the latter. Thanks for all the tips so far. I might try that easy off oven cleaner trick /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    easy off oven cleaner and a pressure washer /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd vote for this. This stuff will strip them to bare metal without you having to break a sweat.

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I tried just using a wire wheel in a drill to clean my SM465's and a few t-cases. It took FOREVER! It was all I had though... /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

10. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Mine were real bad. I bought 4 cans of engine degreaser
    and every night after work sprayed the down for about a week took them to the car wash look like new after that.

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Angle grinder with twisted-wire cup brush...Took ALL the crap off my D60 pretty quick

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as me, wore that brush out too. I had little wire quills stuck in my skin /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Then a bottle of engine degreaser and a trip to the car wash /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

12. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Another vote for oven cleaner. Rustoleum has a primer that's for rusty surfaces. A couple of coats of primer then hit it with the black stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Good tips guys! I may have to do that someday soon...

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Used this meathod before when a sand blaster was not available. It would be my second choice if you dont have access to sandblasting.

15. fortcollinsram

[ QUOTE ]
    I tried just using a wire wheel in a drill to clean my SM465's and a few t-cases. It took FOREVER! It was all I had though... /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah a drill won't cut it..4"+ angle grinder worked great for me..>I've tried a wire cup brush in the drill...doesn't do jack squat...

Chris

16. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I've found that a wire wheel doesnt work so great...it takes the grime and rust off but also 'polishes' the surface and they paint chips off VERY easily. If you do wire wheel it, I would suggest scuffing it up with some sand paper before the paint is applied. It will stick alot better and be a little more durable.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I've always just pressure washed them with some hot ass water. helps having friends that work at places that they have the big ass boiler hooked to a pressure washer /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. JSH

JSH Registered Member

Another vote for sandblasting-no better way to clean and prep for this type of job imo. Also gives a great surface for POR15 if you decide to use it-soaks it up into the pores of the metal-just be sure and topcoat if it gets an UV. I've been topcoating the POR15 with Rustoleum gloss black while it is still tacky-no long term results but should provide a little more resistance than just the spray bomb.

18. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I agree, but you better make sure every seal and opening is covered up. Sand gets in EVERYTHING! Sand, grease and bearings dont mix /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    The do come out sweet though when done right! Just make sure you take the extra time to make sure sand cant get in anything and you are good to go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. JSH

JSH Registered Member

Good point-just to be safe I changed gear oil after doing mine and was careful not to blast directly at the hubs-sand in the bearings/seals would not be good.

20. fortcollinsram

[ QUOTE ]
    I've found that a wire wheel doesnt work so great...it takes the grime and rust off but also 'polishes' the surface and they paint chips off VERY easily. If you do wire wheel it, I would suggest scuffing it up with some sand paper before the paint is applied. It will stick alot better and be a little more durable.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I've always just pressure washed them with some hot ass water. helps having friends that work at places that they have the big ass boiler hooked to a pressure washer /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that...I ran my DA sander over the whole thing after wire-wheeling it and before painting it...

Chris