Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning brake shoes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Apr 26, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, yeah. I would never attempt to clean oiled down shoes on a street truck. They are too important to take any chances of reducing the effectiveness for the cost of new shoes/pads.

Now that that's out of the way (hopefully heading off any indignant “you must be kidding” replies). I had a rear seal start leaking on my C14FF. It's got the 13x3.5" shoes and they are only about half gone. But, now they are oil slicked. I remember someone telling me long ago about a "ghetto rigging" trick to clean/leach out the oil to avoid replacing the shoes. This truck will likely never see more than a fire road and the brakes are WAY overkill for the weight anyway. So, I'm thinking that money is tight and I would rather spend the $50 on something besides rear brake shoes. Like I said, this would never cross my mind on anything I drive so I don't remember the "trick".

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? Am I being foolish to consider it even here? Frankly, the brakes worked fine on Terminator even with oil in the drum. In fact, now that I think about it, I was having trouble with the back brakes locking too soon due to over adjusting my proportioning valve before the trip...

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Use some brake clean and spray the pads good and clean and then drive it and heat the shoes up ride the brakes a little and do some fast stops Thats what we used to do at the shop I worked at. I The shop would not recomend this we always tried to get the customer to by new shoes because Of liabillity issues.

Colin

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Russ, oil soaked shoes actually stop better. They are softer and grap easier. THe problem is they wear out really fast and normally come apart. Try soaking them in brake clean. If that doesnt work, then time to buy new.

Dan

4. BadDog

Thanks guys.

Dan, never thought about it that way. Kinda backwards to what seems obvious, but makes sense when you point it out. Since it is off-road only, I'm going to give it a try. I seem to remember something other than just brake clean but, god knows what the "good ol' boys" were talking about, or what I remember correctly for that matter. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I'll eventually redo the brakes anyway if/when I get a tag and make it street legal. This will do till then...

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's how I can tell I've got a seal leaking in the back of a drum-braked ride. It's makes the brake on the wheel lockup far too easy. It certainly defies logic, since you would think that having oil on the drum would make the brake stop working!/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. BadDog

Funny how in all my years of shade-tree mechanicing on trucks, muscle cars, and street rods, I never learned this. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Well, I've always heard that once you stop learning new things, it's time to die. So, I guess I'm good to live one more day anyway... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif