Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning CD player

Discussion in 'Audio' started by sled_dog, Oct 24, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What do you guys use to clean out your head units? Seems every freaking CD I install skips these days and most of the CDs usually play just fine. I will pull the CD, put it back in and it plays fine for a while with a small skip here and there. Really getting aggravating.

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I was having a problem a bit ago. I bought a CD cleaner from WalMart. Im sure you can get it anywhere though. It is a CD with a little brush on the playing surface. The directions tell you to skip to different tracks, which moves the laser eye into the path of the brush, and the brush gives it a high speed cleaning. I did it twice, and it works great now.

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I'm kind of leary of those CD cleaners. Having a brush (I don't care how soft it is) that spins at 600-1000 rpm and wipes over the lens of the pick up unit seems unsafe to me. I always take the dozen or so screws off the cover and clean the lens with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. And while you're in there blow off any dust and dirt.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah the brush worked, but still skips way TOO often. No idea. I would think a cleaning solution would help.