Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning driveway of heavy grease/oil slicks... need how to?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Aug 20, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I used what little absorbant stuff I had when working last week. Now I have some oil spots I need to get rid of. I used a whole tub of the Oxy-Clean stuff in paste form and rubbed it around with a brush and rinsed it off, it helped a little bit but not to the liking of the folks /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Need something cheap that works thats not extremly hazardous (we have well water) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I pickup some thompsons water sealant will that help keep new stains from setting in after I get the old stuff cleaned up? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

It's called purple power or something like that. I'm too lazy to walk out to my garage and find it. But it works well with a stiff nylon brush or a power washer...

3. powerbitch

powerbitch Registered Member

all the mecanics i know including my ol man use cat litter it seems to absorb it up

4. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

powdered tide with bleach. grind it in real good and let it set for a day in the sun. scrub off with water or high pressure wash it and you should be good to go.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's called purple power

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think this is the Castrol Purple Cleaner. Really good stuff for cleaning grease/oil. I have had very good success with it. You can also try Muratic Acid (Swimming pool acid) but be careful with that.

You can also try and pre-soak the area with some Dawn dishwashing soap. It works well on grease too.

6. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

At the gararge I used to work at to clean the floors they used this orange powder that turns green when wet. This stuff works really good. I think its a zep product. Its looks just like tang. People use to call the police on use thinking we were rinsing the parking lot with coolant, well it looks just like it when wet /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

-Coca-Cola. Attracts lots of ants and bugs, but cleans the spots nicely too.
    -Greased Lightning. Pour it on straight out of the bottle, brush it a bit, let it sit for a while, rinse.
    -Tide powder. We've used it in the past to clean our helicopters after desert ops and massive oil leaks, works great.

8. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Oh, btw, sorry for the mess. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I've had some good luck using oven cleaner, "Easy Off" brand. Spray it on, let it soak for a few minutes, srub a little, then rinse. The tricky part would be getting up all the cleaner without any washing into the yard. If you leave the stuff on too long it could erode the surface of the concrete, but the stuff is designed to remove grease and oil.

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, btw, sorry for the mess. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I've had some good luck using oven cleaner, "Easy Off" brand. Spray it on, let it soak for a few minutes, srub a little, then rinse. The tricky part would be getting up all the cleaner without any washing into the yard. If you leave the stuff on too long it could erode the surface of the concrete, but the stuff is designed to remove grease and oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm... I'm thinking of using oven off on my silver trucks axles (to remove the layers of paint). I wonder it would hurt the seals or anything? I'll make another post sometime.

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i use tide powdered laundry soap and an asphalt broom. get it wet, pour tons of soap on it and scrub it with the broomn and rinse it off.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Can you rent a pressure washer? That would probably work pretty well... </font>