Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning eng insides w/ ATF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tx_sub, Dec 22, 2005.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I have a ticking lifter and am due for an oil change...so I want to try to do the ATF trick and free it up. How much should I put in? and for how long? I'm going to put some in each head via oil fill and PCV. Thanks in advance.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have always put 1 quart of ATF in (maybe even drain a little oil out so you don't overfill) and run the motor for 20-30 minutes. Then drain the oil and replace the filter. There is certainly no guarantee this will work and it is possible that you can stir up a bunch of sludge and plug the oil pump pickup. I think any motor that has that much sludge in it is doomed anyway. Go ahead and try it, maybe it will work.

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I understand the possibility of loosening up more sludge, so I'm trying to figure out the minimum dosage of medicine to cure my nervous tick. One thing that might need to be mentioned is that this is the end of my first run on full synthetic oil. If the synthetic messed with any sludge, why does it cause problems 100 mi before I'm due for an oil change? Castrol Synthetic oil 10-30

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

how many miles are on your motor?

mine has 233k on it, and when it's near the time for the oil to be changed out, i can usually tell by some ticking, especially at start-up.

10-30 IMO, is WAY too thin of oil, especially if the motor has some decent miles on it.

i have always had good luck with the 10-40 in winter climates (when i lived in Flagstaff) and always run 20-50 down here in Phoenix.

5. 1977k5

You should be fine with 1 quart. I have known quite a few people that ran for weeks with 1 quart of ATF in the crankcase. The only time I have ever heard of a motor dying after treating with ATF was a 2.8L v6 in an s-10 blazer. It was knocking (low oil pressure) and the ATF was a last ditch effort to see if some oil passages or the oil pump pickup were clogged. The motor died shortly thereafter, who knows if the ATF had any part in it.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

my friend who is certified mechanic has done this before. add 1 grt to a 5 qrt system with 4 qrt reg oil. run for how long you want till no more than 1k miles total and do oil change. the atf slowly loosens the sludge up. this will keep ports from pluging up.

he had a older lady come in the shop years ago. found no oil in pan just sludge. she said you need to change the oil. he left it over night with plug out and space heater next to pan to drain out. then flushed motor with kero 3 times and filled with 4 qrt oil and 1 qrt atf. ran for 1k miles and changed it 3 more times with the atf trick. saved the motor no ill efects to speek of.

it works i have used it my self. if possible get the big 2 qrt filter for a c50 or c60 dump truck if its for a gm and it will clear the exaust and stuff. much more area to trap the crap.

7. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

191k on the clock, but with bigger tires, I calculate it out to be just over 200k. I already have 10w30 from the last change, so I'll use that up and think about getting thicker next time around.

Thanks for all the help guys. Merry X-mas.

8. gn4u2c

gn4u2c 1/2 ton status

use diesel fuel about 1 quart let it run for 5-10 min change the oil and your done. It cleans way faster and far better than atf. It will NOT hurt anything or catch on fire. We did this for years in the military always with excellent results.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

only problem with fast flushing is if a big chunk pops loose it might plug a oil port or passage off and have big problems.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[hijack] I have a '79 Ford F150 with a 351M and it has a ticking noise that sounds like a lifter. The engine has about 135,000 miles and is in good condition otherwise, and the oil is clean (not black). Would this ATF trick help me? [/hijack]

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Could it be an exhaust leak?

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It may be, it's hard to tell for sure.

13. AKnopp

AKnopp Registered Member

I once knew a guy who drained his oil filled up with 5 quarts of atf ran for 5min then changed with 10w30. threw a rod the next day

14. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

could i do this on a 6.2 with 20k on it or is this just far gas motors??? thx

15. 1977k5

This would work just fine on a diesel. I wouldn't bother though, unless you have only changed the oil once in that 20K. This is pretty much for high mileage motors.

16. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok i see thx